Adding felt to the rear sealing block

Musing over my leaking rear oil seal I wondered if anyone had tried ramming in a bit more Wellseal soaked felt into the rear sealing block from below with the engine in still in the car. It would be putting off the inevitable I know but would it work, even a bit?

Hi Pete ~

Yes, I did this on my 3A. It's quite easy to do. I removed the original felt seals

and fitted new felt with plenty of Wellseal. I have since fitted a reconditioned engine

with Mad Marx's rear crank oil seal conversion. The beauty of this conversion is that

you don't have to have the crank scroll seal removed.

You then have the double advantage of the scroll seal AND Mad Marx's conversion!

If you want photo's of the conversion then please PM me your eMail address.

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Musing over my leaking rear oil seal I wondered if anyone had tried ramming in a bit more Wellseal soaked felt into the rear sealing block from below with the engine in still in the car. It would be putting off the inevitable I know but would it work, even a bit?

It would only stand a chance of working if the felt seal and Wellseal soaking has failed, in my experience never has. It's likely that the alloy scroll has worn if fitted incorrectly (ie to the mandrill dimensions shown in the workshop manual, it's wrong) or too far away from the crank main bearing. As we've said before the scroll seals only work when the engine is running, when stood the oil sometimes percolates past the seal and you get the famous rear of engine drip.

Afraid there's no substitute for refitting and whilst at it fit the Christian Marx additional lip seal as Tom recommends.

Mick Richards

Hi Pete,

I did this on mine, but only because the felt pretty much dropped out when I removed the sump - the PO (I assume) had installed a single bit of felt, without sealant and not rammed in. Needless to say it was doing bugger all. Fixing this stemmed the flow of oil from the rear of my engine, all of which I'd assumed was coming from the crank oil seal.

Steve

Edited by Steve Priest
  • 2 months later...

I have a spare 'Mad Marx' Aluminium Housing and the required alignment fitting tool.

Happy to let it gor for £65

You will require the Viton seal which is available from TR Shop London or direct from Mad Marx for approx £35

I have a spare 'Mad Marx' Aluminium Housing and the required alignment fitting tool.

Happy to let it gor for £65

You will require the Viton seal which is available from TR Shop London or direct from Mad Marx for approx £35

Hi,

You have a PM.

Regards, Richard