Advide would be appreciated.

Sorry Jim,

I failed on that one a long ways back . . . .

I took Citroen, thought Citron, then thought **** Ron, and translated Citroen to Lemon Turd . . . . .

They weren't impressed.

I know the feeling.

I've driven Citroens. Several, in fact. Deux Chevaux through to Prestige and SM.

I wasn't impressed either. Not with any of them.

Lemon Turds.

Cheers

Alec

Yep Alec, I can remember the disappointment on my departed Mum's face when dad turned up in his new Citroen XM.

It broke down on its first trip out (failed throttel cable) and then the head gasket blew.

She preferred the Alfa that turned up next !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just reading this and wanted to put a couple of thoughts out there about prices.

In todays market it seems to me that any Tr resto to a high standard will always cost north of £30k if done by a professional outfit.

Therefore it seems of little surprise to me that a good Tr6 can fetch up to and occasionally well over £30k.

Equally adding on rarity tax it logically follows that a good Tr5 could easily cost north of £50k.

Even an engine rebuild can cost 10k plus.

So why the surprise over the high prices. I would say on that basis to get a tidy Tr6 for £20k or a scruffy Tr5 for 20-30K is not such bad value.

Once you've taken the plunge we all hope our cars will continue to rise in value, don't we???

Well at least thats what I keep telling the long haired general.

Happy hunting,

Tim

Hi Tim and everyone else, this is an interesting thread and i understand where Constantine is coming from, its all a bit of a mine field but well worth the effort of looking for a good genuine car.

I agree with you Tim, from recent experience those are the prices now and why not ! Unless you are very lucky or have a mate who... etc etc.....

My cars are an investment for me and one day will sell to live of the proceeds for a while. better than in the bank Etc !! The Classic car market is very busy at the moment and this spring will probably see another surge of potential owners and buyers.

Here`s Hoping,

Conrad.

Ps Tim do you mean "Custer" ? The LHG.

Edited by openroad
  • 3 weeks later...

Those were the days: I remember viewing an unfinished TR5 project which had a TR6 CR bulkhead. It was painted in dark blue and was in deepest kent. The seller was at some difficulty to explain this despite having owned the car for many years and protesting it's originality.

Only the V5 was original.

Then there was the 5 restoration project in many rusty bits where the seller produced the V5 which had a different chassis number to that being offered (an oversight by the seller perhaps, as he knew very little about the car he was selling) and the many boxes of bits were not TR5. I am sure many current and past forumite's will remember this one as the viewing comprised the "who's who" of 5 owners and restorers at the time.

I think this was in the very early days of ebay. I wonder if there is a way to check back for the advert?

On the other hand one could claim a "Triggers broom" exemption for all but a completely unrestored car.