Well that'll be why my handbrake doesn't work very well then.

Rear Axle rebuilt less than three thousand miles ago. Looks like half shaft seal has gone.

Can this be repaired in situ or does the axle have to come off the car again?

Also, when turning the half shafts there is a kind of muted clicking feeling. ie. It doesn't turn smoothley. Should it be like this?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave.

post-6733-0-48253600-1455216879_thumb.jpgpost-6733-0-79041800-1455216897_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

the clicking feeling could well be a bearing. If the bearing os worn enough then that could easily cause the seal to stop functioning.

I would have a word with the builder and see what he comes up with.

However a bearing failure may not be too predictable.

Roger

Hi Dave

You can leave the axle in situ, but you will need a 10ton press to put the bearings and seal back in. If you have Williams´s book it tells you how to do it and as he says be prepared for the BANG when they come out.

Dave

Half shaft seal is easily replaced with axle in place however the hub seal is more difficult and requires pressing off properly, Bend the lock tabs back undo the six bolts and slide the half shaft and hub out complete to work on it. It does look more like some over enthusiastic greasing of the hub has gone on as well.

Stuart.

Just check the the breather is not blocked

I had diff oil coming out of both sides of the axle and tried lots of axle seal alternatives until someone pointed out that the axle will pressurize with heat of running and needs a breather- it's there but was blocked in my case

Simple to unscrew and ream out - or replace

and I couldn't get the oil out of the brake shoes had to replace them - several times until the problem was solved

Michael

Edited by MichaelH