I would like to paint my V8 manifolds, with a matt paint that won't burn off, they aren't cast but mild steel.

Ceramic coating would be preferable but the cost is off the wall.

has anyone any experience of these paints that are advertised to withstand warp heat on the sunny side of mercury?

more to the point do they work??

Hi Pete,

do they work ? VHT paints that is.

The decent brands generally do, the cheap ones don't . . . . . one of those areas where you get what you pay for !

And do the homework on the 'net . . . . . your car will get VERY hot, it needs top temperature specification.

Preparation matters, I'd have the manifolds blasted with a soft medium to take off the rust but not the metal, then paint 'em.

Cheers

Alec

Hi, Pete,

Had my TR6 manifold media blasted then aluminium sprayed by a local (Wolverhampton) company at a very moderate cost about 2 years and 2000 miles ago.

To date, no sign of any discolouration even.

If you'd like contact details, please let me know.

John

Also interested in this as my bare s/s extractor is on its way.

I note that POR-15 says that it is paint that is resistant to heat and that it stops rust - doesn't seem to say whether it has any effect on reducing heat coming out. At £16 a tin its a damn sight cheaper than £300 for zircotec - but does it or a similar homemade solution have a beneficial impact

• 2 weeks later...

eventually bought 2 cans of SAS VHT paint £10.99 a throw, the blaster is to blast both manifolds then apply 2/3 thin coats then cure in his oven to 120C.

Thats the instructions on the can, lets see if it works, answer much later on the engines still at the back of the house.