J Type Speedo Cable Run

Just fitting a J type O/D gearbox to my 4A. Could some one please advise the correct speedo cable run and if clipping to the chassis is required. I will be using a 69" cable which I believe is the best length to use.

Thanks

Alan.

Mine (J type also) doesn't clip to the chassis. It exits the overdrive through a right angle drive and is P clipped to one of the gearbox top cover bolts and it then arcs up into the engine compartment and through one of the firewall grommets.

My "J" OD (and GB) came from a saloon, The speedo drive exited say 35Deg downwards under drivers seat. So didn't use a right angle drive, just a nice wide sweeping turn under the drivers floor pan to the engine bay. At the time I remember being delighted to see the cable lined up with holes already in the inner chassis rails perfectly.

But I did fall foul of the fact that in my case the dimension of the OD square drive is not the same. So had to get a cable made up with different size "drive squares" at each end. And it think the cable was a little longer than the std 69" (can't recall exactly why but perhaps if was because I wanted the Speedo on the left of the Tacho).

Good luck

Norman

Should add that mine was a 1962 TR4 Left hooker originally.

Edited by TRnorm

My "J" OD (and GB) came from a saloon, The speedo drive exited say 35Deg downwards under drivers seat. So didn't use a right angle drive, just a nice wide sweeping turn under the drivers floor pan to the engine bay. At the time I remember being delighted to see the cable lined up with holes already in the inner chassis rails perfectly.

But I did fall foul of the fact that in my case the dimension of the OD square drive is not the same. So had to get a cable made up with different size "drive squares" at each end. And it think the cable was a little longer than the std 69" (can't recall exactly why but perhaps if was because I wanted the Speedo on the left of the Tacho).

Good luck

Norman

Should add that mine was a 1962 TR4 Left hooker originally.

I also found the square drive was to small. Turned out that although the GB and OD were TR6 the speedo drive pinion had 17 teeth and was from a Triumph saloon. This type of pinion has the smaller square drive and is also shorter as the cable is secured to it differently than the TR6. Checked that the OD speedo gear had 8 starts and have fitted the correct 20 tooth pinion.

Alan.