Macy's S/S Stator Tube

Hi fellow sidescreeners,

Ref my previous thread, see: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/54971-sidescreen-control-head-heads-up/&do=findComment&comment=457356

With a premonition of mine bending on withdrawal, has anyone used the Macy's stainless steel stator tube; see half way down the page: http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/Parts/other_tr2_3_parts.htm#TR2/3%20Stator%20Tube

Seems to come in two pieces - grateful for any feedback.

StatorTube.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

I used the Macy's stainless tube in my rebuild Andrew. It was one long piece of tube and had a couple of rubber sleeves where the original Chinese lanterns would have been. My original tube was badly bent and the ant-rattle do-dads all chewed up. The stainless tube worked well, no issues with installation.

Stan

So how do you think that would fare in transit to the UK then Andrew? I suspect yours will be OK anyway.

Stuart.

Thanks for the info Stan.

Stuart,

Not well at all as it's a single piece. Don has offered to assist as Mark Macy doesn't do international shipping, but suspect it'll be too difficult to ship safely.

Worth exploring though.........just in case.

Cheers

Andrew

No chance to source some ss tube locally Andrew ?. There was nothing special about the one that Mark supplies other than the correct dimensions and a slot cut in the end to engage with the control head.

Stan

Possibly Stan, I'm just starting work on it now so should know soon.

Cheers

Andrew

" but suspect it'll be too difficult to ship safely. "

I've shipped a couple of nos stator tubes from here to the States in the past . . . . . . . no problem.

Tube slipped into a length of copper pipe, which was then taped to a 1" square timber strip, and then into a hefty cardboard tube from a curtain fabric roll. Ends oif the card tube well plugged and taped.

Shipping cost was around £30-35.

I once shipped an entire single piece column, complete with box and fittings . . . . . . now that was a more challenging packing exercise !! Interparcel UPS got it there safely, as always.

Cheers

Alec

Andrew: If you have problems with the stator tube and need a quick fix to get TuRK back on the road before importing or sourcing a good replacement, you are welcome to borrow my spare. It's from a '58 TR3A long column box and has the control head still fitted and in good working order (as far as I remember).

Thanks for the packaging tips Alec and Don.

Brian - many thanks for the offer, I may very well take you up on the offer.

Well, this it what I've just found - it seems the end of the stator tube is mullered - I'm guessing it shouldn't look like this! :D The rest of the tube is perfectly straight and came out with no problems.

Ian Vincent has kindly offered me one, so have taken up his kind offer.

1935475_10205901128262548_19580252819581

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith