OK, TR6, rover V8, J type Stag gearbox.

After a few false starts, I finally got a nice smooth clutch action about three years ago after reading the buckeye site.

The clutch judder returned a few weeks ago so while I'm sorting the diff/driveshafts, I thought I'd take out the gearbox to sort out the problem. I haven't got the flywheel off yet, but I think I have a weeping rear seal so think I need to replace the clutch as a matter of course. Two things I am concerned about. When I installed the bearing carrier and clutch disc, I used a small amount of grease, this seems to gone pretty stiff with the dust from the clutch, should I re-install without grease? Also. What the hell is this?post-3553-0-97888000-1450022228_thumb.jpeg

Can't find anything damaged or broken.....

Hi Simon,

on my 4A I have a bronze release bearing carrier. When I took it all apart a couple of weeks ago I found that the carrier was not rotating and that the

pins on the fork had dug into the carrier stopping any further rotation (also reducing bearing throw).

I found that the carrier was sticking on the shaft. I would suggest that all grease is removed.

Could the juddering be caused by the action of the master cylinder not moving smoothly.

Roger

Have your checked whether there is a tooth missing on the starter ring gear? I have just had the gearbox out and noticed that there was a tooth missing from the ring gear on the flywheel of my car.

So as well as working on the gearbox the flywheel came out for a new gear and machining of the face to remove surface imperfections and small cracks. After reinstalling with overhauled clutch plate and diaphragm and replacing the g/b the gear change is smooth and much improved from the occasional clutch judder that was there previously.

Perhaps these comments may be applicable to your car.

Tim

OK, TR6, rover V8, J type Stag gearbox.

After a few false starts, I finally got a nice smooth clutch action about three years ago after reading the buckeye site.

The clutch judder returned a few weeks ago so while I'm sorting the diff/driveshafts, I thought I'd take out the gearbox to sort out the problem. I haven't got the flywheel off yet, but I think I have a weeping rear seal so think I need to replace the clutch as a matter of course. Two things I am concerned about. When I installed the bearing carrier and clutch disc, I used a small amount of grease, this seems to gone pretty stiff with the dust from the clutch, should I re-install without grease? Also. What the hell is this?attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Can't find anything damaged or broken.....

Simon the piece of 'shrapnel' looks like a piece of the clutch release bearing carrier

ATB

Graham