Village Garage clearout

My local garage - Tudor Motors of Fetcham, have now closed for good (very sad)

They are selling off loads of items.

One of which is a kit for setting up the Lucas PI system. It had two large gauges & some pipework.

Don't know much more about it, but it's going for £75 today (it may be cheaper later in the week !)

If anyone is interested I am happy to purchase, & pass on for the postage costs.

Bob.

Bob,

Is this pukka Lucas kit, do you think?

The "Test Equipment" is shown on page 13 of the Manual: http://www.lucasinjection.com/Lucas%20Mk2%20manual%20page%2013.htm

But that is fairly generic gauges, pressure, vacuum, volts and amps.

Page 24 and after refers to "Bench testing" the M/u, and to "a fuel injection test bench" that can supply pressurised test fuel and spin the M/u, to check delivery under specified conditions.

I've never seen one, but I believe that they can set up the Pi system, when the first is really for operational checking.

I would be most interested if it were the second.

John

John

Bob

If it is kosha and John decides not to go for it, let me know . . . Very interested

IF, you could snatch a picture . . . . . . .

I did a Google, and it seems that Tudor Motors is to close, not for lack of trade or the retirement of the owner, but because Tescos want to build a supermarket on the site!

I thought that Tescos had been caught putting Monopoly money in the till, and had to rein back on their expansion plans. Not this one, I suppose.

I was looking for the auctioneer, if there is one, as they might have a list of Lots, which the could send to Steve, or me!

Do you know who is running the sale, Bob, or is the owner doing it?

John

It appears that a housing association is the villain here - letting the commercial space to Tesco. If so, one assumes that either the garage owner or their landlord sold out?

The HA's supporting statement reads:

"An unsightly garage on a prominent site will be replaced with a sympathetically designed new ......bla bla bla..."

I happen to have a meeting tomorrow with Tesco's ex-development arm - Spenhill - I will demand a public apology.

If that isnt enough, MVDC Committee Members are open to listening to objections and overturning officer's recommendations for approval (don't ask me how I know).

However, one wouldnt want to leave the garage owner unable to cash in his pension (if that might be the case) by objecting !

John.

As far as I can tell the owners are running the sale. It's all very informal run much like a car boot sale.

MM You seem to be very well informed ! Yes, Tesco were planning a mini store there, but we assumed that was no longer the case as Tesco are generally shutting down a lot of their smaller stores.

The odd thing is that there is a Sainsburys directly opposite the garage ! (Formerly Budgens)

Bob.

John.

As far as I can tell the owners are running the sale. It's all very informal run much like a car boot sale.

MM You seem to be very well informed ! Yes, Tesco were planning a mini store there, but we assumed that was no longer the case as Tesco are generally shutting down a lot of their smaller stores.

The odd thing is that there is a Sainsburys directly opposite the garage ! (Formerly Budgens)

Bob.

Hi Bob

Tesco are moving away from development, instead to focus on being a 'convenience retailer' - so I guess taking space as a retail tenant fits that bill.

Some years ago I helped M&S on a roll out of their smaller format stores, they are as much about projecting brand as anything - they struggle to make them profitable despite quite high sales p/sq.ft as the logistics of running them with limited back of house storage and increased delivery frequencies, smaller trucks etc doesn't work for them.

Despite what they say about removing a scruffy garage - the constraints of smaller stores often make them visually less attractive. Look at many smaller larger chain stores (such as Tesco) and you will often see scruffy air con units fitted wherever there is space, isles filled with goods that don't fit in the small storage area, trolleys and outgoing waste, esp card / packaging often left on pavements/service road, big lorries (not the promised smaller ones) frequently parked outside.

Make sure there are stringent conditions attached to their planning.