Identification of obscure Smiths Speedo

Hi all

As part of my continuing clearout, I wonder if anyone can throw any light on this speedo and what it might have come from?

The only markings are on it's face where it says "SMITHS" with "(M:A)" underneath it and this name site immediately underneath the mileometer. The code just beneath the dial pointer states 53186/2 and beneath that 960. There are no other markings on it that I can see.

Have googled all these numbers without success but no doubt there are those of you out there with much better search skills than me.

Any help much appreciated and feel free to make me an offer!

cheers

Rich

post-10723-0-77721000-1444854790_thumb.jpg

post-10723-0-54582300-1444854813_thumb.jpg

post-10723-0-11568700-1444854834_thumb.jpg

I would think that 960 refers to the number of turns per mile registered.

And through the magic of reverse image search, it's a Standard Flying 10.

http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=84673

Pete

Thanks - that's amazing I won't even pretend to understand how both you and IT can do that!

I think I'll go back to playing with my Abacus in the back of a Standard Flying 10!!

What is even more puzzling is where on earth did I get this from and when, as I have no recollection whatever about it! Better go and eat my greens!

cheers

Rich

My research says it is a speedo that started life as a 53186 that becam SN3302-1 and was for an Austin - but no year given.

http://vintagebritishcables.com/documents/SMITHSSUPERSESSIONLISTBYCARANDMODEL.pdf

I think MA means it is a magnetic type instrument not chronometric. Take a look inside and that will prove it.

My NOS Smiths Chronometric tacho for a Norton sold for half the going rate of a surrey top back section.

Cheers

Peter W