I found TR3s with different rear view mirror position - the majority on the front wheel fenders, some on the windscreen frame (upper and lower position).

My TR3 has mounted them to the bottom of the windscreen frame - absolutely not useable - shows everything but not what is behind.

Is there any "correct" position of those mirrors?

I would like to mount them on the fenders - is there a correct position?

post-13474-0-75250800-1438443323_thumb.jpg

post-13474-0-09528700-1438443368_thumb.jpg

Mine is on the windscreen stanchion, but higher up than yours - it gives excellent visibility.

Also helps to have a convex mirror.

Bob.

I have heard comment that mounting the mirrors on the Wings ( fenders) gives rather poor results as the normal vibration and the distance from the driver combine to make the images rather mobile.

Mine is mounted below the windscren stanchion and is fine with the sidescreens removed but rather obscured with the sidescreens in place.

Bobs position above would seem the best option.DSC_0001_01_zpstc9dvsar.jpg

My TR3 had fender mounted mirrors and the first day that I brought it home one of the mirrors got hit with a bag of groceries and broke off. I had planned to include the fender mirrors as part of the resto but after talking to people at shows, hearing about the poor visibility and the issues of people banging into them at shows or in parking lots I'm strongly leaning towards welding up the holes and fitting a clamp-on style mirror to the driver side tennon plate.

This one from Summit works well on the TR3 and comes in flat or convex glass:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/upd-c5001/overview/

Even if I decide to keep the fender mirrors I will also add the one on the tennon plate.

Stan

There are a number of threads on this topic if you search the Forum.

If not using the fender the other popular options are mirrors attached to the windscreen stanchion either at the point it attaches to the body (there is a Harley bike mirror which is suitable) or further up the frame like Bobs. I have a similar arrangement to Bob's with a convex mirror which gives an excellent view. Others fix mirrors using screws to the upright itself rather than a clamp arrangement. In both cases a set up that enables the door to be opened with the sidescreen in place is a key practical consideration. Further searches here should reveal more.

Miles

I found TR3s with different rear view mirror position - the majority on the front wheel fenders, some on the windscreen frame (upper and lower position).

My TR3 has mounted them to the bottom of the windscreen frame - absolutely not useable - shows everything but not what is behind.

Is there any "correct" position of those mirrors?

I would like to mount them on the fenders - is there a correct position?

Hi DJ,

A few of those earlier posts will be mine.

I spent some time looking for an ideal postion. For me that would have been high up on the stanchion / tenon plate. However, i couldnt find a position that allowed the door to open without fouling (some have made (bent) extended arms. I tried some fixed through the tenon plate, but found they vibrated too much, to such an extent that the vibration started to unscrew the stanchion / screen feame screws ! (Imagine driving through france whilst repeatedly trying to screw in your screen on by hand!).

I settled on the option below. It is a Librands mirror ( for a Morgan ). A tad too low for my ideal position, but when i tested it mounted on the scuttle ( under the stanchion plate ) i found the pasenger side obscured with the screens on.

It is not perfect, but for me safe viewing was key.

Remember that when you need mirrors most is not a sunny day with the roof off and good visibility, but on a wet rainy day with the sidescreens on.

I have lots of pics of cars with carious options. Pm me your email if you would like them

96405070-F777-4213-8B33-E96B08FF25C4_zps

3F1C2A9F-0C40-4D4A-B4B9-686788EFA8A4_zps

Ref fender(wing)-mounted wings, I think Tom's about right.

My newly-acquired TR3 from US has one on the driver's side only, and it's just ahead of the front wheel centre but is exactly at the top of the curved wing, which seems sensible. I think it needs angling out a bit for a better view. Wing-mounted mirrors will never give as good a view as a well-positioned door mirror, though, which is why all modern cars have door mirrors...

Malcolm

post-8648-0-24876500-1438616900_thumb.jpg