Inlet manifold balancing

Hello o'wise ones,

I have installed new blue poly throttle rod bushings (3 off) over the weekend, the old yellow ones were hardening and crumbling. Now my inlet manifolds are not quite synchronised. Front 2 butterflies are opening late. However I have adjusted them by eye to open all together as close as eyeballing can go (huge improvement in slow speeds-surging greatly reduced).

Is there a more accurate way to do this than eyeballing?

If I understund you correctly then I had a similar problem with mine. Butterflies opening at slightly different times and poor light throttle running. I bought one of these....

http://www.pentastarparts.com.au/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4654

And used it to get the same airflow through each throttle body at 1500rpm. Made an amazing difference to the drivability of the car. Easy to adjust by slowly turning the butterfly connector rods, they have a locknut and slotted head so are meant to be adjustable.

Took less than half an hour

Gary

No argument with grumpy, useful tool!

But you probably have a feeler gauge already, and most go down to 1.5 thou,which feels like tough kitchen foil.

Slide that between the butterfly and the throttle inlet wall, and adjust, until the 'feel' of pulling out the leaf is the same all across the head.

Done!

Old timers used to use a cigarette rolling paper, with about half that thickness, but then they could only adjust to a very light 'grab' on the paper, so not much difference.

John

Grumpy, that looks like a handy tool.

John, the feeler guage is good for setting the butterflies at idle, but I'm trying to get them all opening at the same time, by the same amount.

Edited by TR674

Persevere with the ciggy paper/feeler, '74!

It will set directly the amount the b'fly is closed, at idle. That is a function of the adjuster on the left end of each butterfly bar.

AND it will tell you when the B'fly begins to open. That is a function of the linkage between the centre and fore and aft throttle bodies, and the Triumph TR6 manual recommends the use of a feeler gauge. (129.20.05 Sheet 6)

The amount each opens for the same throttle setting is a function of the lever mechanism, and that's not adjustable.

Those flow measuring devices are a useful check, but the function of each part of the system needs to be understood.

John

I've bought one of these on eBay: a Crypton Synchro Check Tool as used in the' brown bible' - that way, I can use the recommended air-flow measures at the stated RPM.

Haven't used it yet mind.................

$_57.JPG

Cheers

Andrew

Dear All,

+1

I have used the Cryton Synchro Check for years, cannot be faulted ! I have found that the best RPM to set the balance at 1500 and then to recheck at 2000 RPM. As this is a very precise tool you may have difficulty in getting the balance right at tick over, due to wear on the butter- fly spindles or slackness in the linkage take up! If this is the case, zero the balance exactly at 1500 to 2000 RPM. Lastly this best done with 2 people.

Bruce

Thanks gents, I will source the Cryton Synchro.

Thanks John, with 40+ years of wear, each component of the throttle mechanism has lots of play, so it's gatting harder to set each throttle body to mach the next. I can get it reasonably close but still some surging at low speeds which is annoying................I shall perserver!!