Original Surrey Top Restoration

Hi All

So it looks like I've finally found the elusive Surrey Top I've been after.

Its going to need some loving!!

Wheres the best place to get the fixtures and fittings, the usual suspects seem to only supply the bits for their own GRP offerings.

Will they work and fit? Not confident as none of the other seals rubbers etc. I've bought from them lately were even fit for purpose.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tim

Dunno...gives a clue as to what you've bought, there's been that many variables mentioned we could do with re-establishing where you are starting from.

Mick Richards

Rear window rubber get from Moss, cantrail and side seals get from Rimmers Channels for them get from Jag Shop as they are the same as Series 1XJ6 door seal channels. Front and rear seal for the roof get from Moss.Headlining kit get from Moss. If you havent got the rear stainless finisher for the roof then the plastic wheelarch trim from original Mini is passable. Roof listing bars can be difficult to find but are around. As Roger says the trim cups from the rear section arent available but we know a man who can make them. You will need 7mtrs of door draught excluder.

Stuart.

Thanks all,

Stuart you legend, how do you know all this stuff??

Im collecting the surrey top on friday so should know more then.

Anyone got a set of roof sticks knocking around?

Cheers

Tim

Tim I know a guy in Adelaide who has a set of roof sticks if you can't find them anywhere else

With your exchange rate they'd be reasonably priced

PM me if you want to follow up

Graze

Thanks all,

Stuart you legend, how do you know all this stuff??

Im collecting the surrey top on friday so should know more then.

Anyone got a set of roof sticks knocking around?

Cheers

Tim

I think the expression is "Been there done it tick!"

Make sure that you get the roof listing bars the right way round as they are slightly different lengths.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Gents,

I have dismantled the back light and managed to remove the glass without breaking it, phew so far so good.

The frame is now at the paint shop, very exciting.

I am researching all the fittings and have made an enquiry with Revingtons on costs for the canvas section to be made in navy blue mohair, apparently double duck no longer exists? Product looks OK from the website and they seem to have all the fittings, but I suspect may be v. expensive. Just wondered if anyone has any experience of them or recommendations on any other suppliers I could look at for the fabric section.

Thanks as always

Tim

Edited by TR Tim

Hi Tim,

here is a Woolies link to the Double Duck that doesn't exist http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-96-duck.aspx.

Have you contacted Jon Skinner re the fabric.

If your rear frame is Ali alloy as normal then before the painters start spraying it may be worth cleaning all the corrosion off (eg, grit blasting) and then Alocroming to kill any remaining corrosion - not expensive. Mine started to lift the paint after about 10 years.

Roger

I would talk to these guys who supply to original drawings and are a better value for your money. http://www.citiservi.co.uk/shropshire/coventry-hood-amp-tonneau-ltd-telford__334989_23983.html

Stuart.