Engine cut out after an hour

"When the car cuts, it drops a little power but this happens very quickly - I can tell it's about to do it.... and then just stops"

As there's only one carb feeding the whole engine that could be the float chamber emptying as a result of pump failure.

Where is the fuel pump? My Facet ticks like Neil's - fast upon ignition switch on, then slower- but its in the boot.

Is it hot to the touch when the engine has cut out?

What make/type is it?

Photo would be ideal !

Edited by Peter Cobbold

"When the car cuts, it drops a little power but this happens very quickly - I can tell it's about to do it.... and then just stops"

As there's only one carb feeding the whole engine that could be the float chamber emptying as a result of pump failure.

Where is the fuel pump? My Facet ticks like Neil's - fast upon ignition switch on, then slower- but its in the boot.

What make/type is it?

Photo would be ideal !

I think I just attached a vid I just took of the 'ticking'

It's coming from the front, the fuel pump is also ticking but I gather in a normal way... What I've been told anyway!

What make/type is it?

Photo would be ideal !

It's coming from the front, the fuel pump is also ticking but I gather in a normal way... What I've been told anyway!

Cant see a vid - think its not possible to post one on here, you have to post elsewhere and link to it.

So the pump is in the boot?

Ticking might be a rocker in need of adjusting. But that would not cuase the failure to run.

Peter

If it were the fuel pump cut-out switch failing I dont think you'd smell petrol. To me its looking more like loss of sparks, so you get unburned petrol smell.

Where is the ticking sound coming from? engine or rear of car?

Following on from AndyM : get a red rotor arm from Disy Doctor, the black ones can be dodgy.

And if you can refit points etc that probably the best test of the electronics.

Perhaps a local member can help?

Peter

Apologies for the tardy reply, I've been off the grid for the last few days!

Ticking is def from the front, I'll try and work out how you post a video, it sounds like the Rev counter, I can't hear it with the bonnet open, it's also intermittent... I think this might be a red herring!

On a separate note, took the car out for a drive down to whitstable today, got caught in the bank holiday traffic, car started misbehaving in the jam and cut... (Fortunately near a nice pub for lunch), was fine after lunch but was up to the same tricks once we hit the jam going into town. In both cases, it started failing to hit the revs and then just cut, failing to start after.... We left it in the coop car park for an hour or so and then it started up first time.... Drove back on the motorway with no problems.... This seems to be a low speed issue and stop start. The car is in with Maidstone sports cars next week, so I am going to ask them to have a look. I know it's cheating, but I am way out of my depth on this one!

Suggest to Maidstone that it might be fuelling if the fuel pump its underbonnet. Fuel would be 'sucked' past the hot exhaust in the chassis centre section and that could vapour lock - especially when the flow drops at tickover after a decent run If the pump is underbonnet , its a strange place to put it, I'd ask MSC to put it in the boot. Fuel under slight pressure wont vapour lock so easily.

Peter

Hi Chris

My friend had a similar problem with his TR4 cutting out when the engine got hot it turned out to be the coil, he changed it and I think the electronic ignition as well and everything now ok.

Bill

Your underbonnet ticking may well be the servo N/R valve.

Stuart.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I got the car back last week... And it would seem that most of the potential causes discussed here came up during the investigation! The result has been a lot of replaced parts including the fuel pump and lines - which was on its last legs, a replacement rotor arm and radiator hose!

I had a conversation with a very helpful chap at moss in LA about the supercharger, suggested that cooling could be worth looking at, so Maidstone sports cars have taken out one of the panels at the front which feeds air straight over supercharger which should help it cool.

During the tune up, it was also discovered the fuel mix was running rich, so that may have been a contributing factor....

Either way, the car appears to be behaving itself now... Which is the good news!

Thanks all for the pointers, as a complete novice the forum is a helpful place to start.... Just need to sort the tickets to Malvern!

Chris,

That's good. Was the blower casing running more than just warm to the touch ? See you at Malvern - will be good to have as many supercharged TRs as possible.

Peter