Spot the oil (pun intended)

Morning all

I've recently noticed a light blue, very thin oil appearing on my garage floor - nothing great, just one spot every so often. Difficult to tell where it is coming from, although what I can say is that it appears to be from in or around the offside engine compartment, about mid way. Given the light blue colour it looks quite distinctive.

Could it be my boggo shocks are leaking? Any ideas?

Cheers

Dave

Hello Roger

It's definitely not anti-freeze because mine is yellow :unsure::unsure: . I will be changing it to blue(col) shortly.

The oil spots are defintely a light oil but blue in colour. Any other thoughts?

Cheers

Dave

Hmmm... not thought about that. My brake and clutch fluid is yellow and smells like normal stuff. Is silicone brake fluid blue?

Not sure if all silicone brake fluid is blue but the stuff I put in my TR6 is purple. The only other blue stuff that I use is windshield cleaner but that is obviously not oil.

Stan

• 3 weeks later...

I had the front of the car up on stands over the weekend and tried to look for the blue oil emergence. Can't find specifically a trace of the blue stuff however did notice that my trunnions and ball joints appear to have been oiled/greased with something that looks the same blue colour as the oil on my floor.... <_< There is also evidence of LM around the trunnion too :wacko: Any thoughts on whether there is a blue oil/grease on the market that may have been intimate with me nipples? :wub:

I also changed my 25 year old boggo shocks for new boggo shocks in case the blue oil was from a shock leak. The old shocks probably had a free movement of 30mm max and whilst they were reasonably stiff there was a grittiness in their action. Th new shocks had around 75mm of movement. The difference on the road was very noticeable - much more controlled. Therefore it could be that the shocks were leaking after all.