Hi all.

On my TR4A, I had to replace the clutch, throwout bearing and carrier, cross shaft and pretty much everything inside the bell housing as the previous starter motor blew up and sent all its springs into the housing causing all kind of mess. Since refitting the new stuff I have found a loud grinding noise whenever the clutch is pressed.

This happens when the car is both in and out of gear, when even the slightest pressure is put on the clutch pedal. I am trying to think what it is, and I know it can't be worn parts as they are all new so the only answer is that I have installed something incorrectly/ out of alignment.

I realise I will have to take the gearbox off but does anyone have any idea what I should be looking for once the gearbox is out?

Thanks.

Sam

Hi Sam,

even though you have replace everything with new doesn't mean one of the items isn't duff.

However before ripping the box out.

Remove the panel at the bottom of the engine/front of the gearbox ,run the engine and listen for your grinding.

If the panel is fitted incorrectly it can rub on the flywheel - the flywheel can move fore/aft with clutch pressure.

Likewise the starter - what have you fitted back in. The original starter pulled in from the rear - so shouldn't be a problem. The Hi Torque motors push in from the front and can be too close when in the off condition.

If the box has to come out -

Firstly look at ALL surface for wear marks - serious clue.

The fingers of the clutch will be worn slightly - how bad.

Which release bearing did you use - was it the best or the cheapest.

Did you fit an extra bolt at 90 degrees to the taper pin - thetaper pin is a weak point and usually needs a bit of help - 3/1"/5mm bolt or roll pin.

Report back with what you find

Roger

Hi Sam,

even though you have replace everything with new doesn't mean one of the items isn't duff.

However before ripping the box out.

Remove the panel at the bottom of the engine/front of the gearbox ,run the engine and listen for your grinding.

If the panel is fitted incorrectly it can rub on the flywheel - the flywheel can move fore/aft with clutch pressure.

Likewise the starter - what have you fitted back in. The original starter pulled in from the rear - so shouldn't be a problem. The Hi Torque motors push in from the front and can be too close when in the off condition.

If the box has to come out -

Firstly look at ALL surface for wear marks - serious clue.

The fingers of the clutch will be worn slightly - how bad.

Which release bearing did you use - was it the best or the cheapest.

Did you fit an extra bolt at 90 degrees to the taper pin - thetaper pin is a weak point and usually needs a bit of help - 3/1"/5mm bolt or roll pin.

Report back with what you find

Roger

Hi Roger

It has the original starter motor, which was working fine before the change. What had happened was the previous starter blew up, but someone had changed it for a new one without removing the spring and nuts from the old starter that were still inside the bell housing. We used the best clutch kit as we figured that we didn't want to change it any time soon, look how that worked out!

Also I do not quite understand what you mean about a bolt at 90° to the taper pin, could you please explain that? I am going to work on the car now so I will report my findings as and when.

Thanks, Sam.

Hi Sam,

see the attached pic. The black dot indicates where to drill a hole through the fork and shaft .

A roll pin is preferred as it has a spring effect and fills the drilled hole better. 3/16/5mm diameter would be OK.

Also use a quality taper pin. - don't forget the wire locking.

Roger

HI Sam, did you replace the release bearing? You say the slightest touch of the clutch so could be this is seized or damaged by shrapnel and grinding on the pressure plate ring, or as Roger suggests sounds like something is fouling the pressure plate, can, you put the arm in the wrong way around and this is fouling the pressure plate.

Crankshaft end float pushing the flywheel in to starter motor.

It has to come out and hopefully the fresh shiny patches will show where the problem is.

I have to confess, I once put a mini clutch driven plate in the wrong way around (I was only 17 :rolleyes: ) and it fowled the inner part of the pressure plate, but only when I pressed the clutch causing a lot of noise and spayed metal filing out.

Mark

Sam

As Roger mentions, my guess would be the half moon plate between g/box and engine is installed the wrong way round. Check the easy things first!

Cheers

Graeme

Hi guys, I was unable to get the car started today. However I did take the half moon plate off and it revealed some shiny new metal, so hopefully that was the problem. I have put it on charge overnight and will try starting in the morning, hopefully this will solve the issue!

• 2 months later...

I had a similar problem and traced it to the starter ring swashing out on line on the flywheel and rubbing against the closing plate at the bottom of the bell housing. Cured it by knocking the ring back into place and securing it with grub screws around the joint between the flywheel and ring