Some observations about fuel level and fuel flow to the pump and carbs

I had a mostly productive day today, the first day since last November that I could open the garage doors and not freeze my a*s off. I really wanted to get the TR3 running so I can set up the overdrive and verify that the steering wheel is centered, finish installing the tranny tunnel once the OD is working etc.

First I filled the system with coolant, checked for leaks especially from the heater and hoses. All good. Next I put a couple of gallons (US) in the fuel tank and checked the fuel system for leaks. A very small leak from the tank drain plug so will need to look into that later.

I was fully expecting that gravity alone would deliver fuel from the tank to the pump but with two gals in the tank that is apparently not the case. I spent a long time looking for a blockage where there was none. I was further confused because operating the fuel pump lever produced no fuel in the filter bowl. I learned later that both of the carb needle valves were stuck shut so the pump was getting the ixnay signal from the carbs and doing the right thing by not pumping. Once I fixed the stuck needles the pump operated normally, the filter bowl on the fuel pump filled up quickly and the engine started.

It is running quite rough so I need to check the carb settings and balance them but since this was the first time it has started via the new wiring loom and the starter buttton since the rebuild I was pleased that I got this far. Perhaps tomorrow I will drive it up the driveway. No body panels yet, just the tub and the right rear fender.

Stan

Hi Stan,

Glad things are finally warming up back home. I think you are right that right that gravity should deliver to the pimp but only i it was vented. Crack open the fuel line at the pump (I think yours has a clamped hose) and it should run right out.

Tom

Hi Stan,

Glad things are finally warming up back home. I think you are right that right that gravity should deliver to the pimp but only i it was vented. Crack open the fuel line at the pump (I think yours has a clamped hose) and it should run right out.

Tom

I disconnected the line into the pump Tom and nothing was coming out. I think the 2 gallons of fuel were insufficient and if there was more fuel in the tank it may have behaved differently. Weather forecast is for 70 degrees and sunny today :)

Stan

Boy, I don't know, Stan -- my car seems to have a LOT of fuel coming out of the hose when disconnected where fuel line meets pump inlet pipe. Doesn't seem to depend too much on a lot of head pressure in the tank. I'd be a little concerned that your line isn't running as free as it could.

I disconnected the line into the pump Tom and nothing was coming out. I think the 2 gallons of fuel were insufficient and if there was more fuel in the tank it may have behaved differently. Weather forecast is for 70 degrees and sunny today :)

Stan

70 sounds good to me.There is nothing that I can think of that would keep any quantity of fuel in the tank from flowing to the pump. The more "head" of fuel you have the stronger the flow but as long as the tank level is above the fuel pump connection, you should get something.. Perhaps the pump is higher than I remember?

Also seems a bit odd to me that both (new?) inlet valves would be stuck from sitting for a few months. I will be interested in what you come up with.Tom

70 sounds good to me.There is nothing that I can think of that would keep any quantity of fuel in the tank from flowing to the pump. The more "head" of fuel you have the stronger the flow but as long as the tank level is above the fuel pump connection, you should get something.. Perhaps the pump is higher than I remember?

Also seems a bit odd to me that both (new?) inlet valves would be stuck from sitting for a few months. I will be interested in what you come up with.Tom

I will measure the height of the pump vs tank outlet tomorrow. I agree it does sound odd. The carbs were rebuilt last year and have never been run. It did not take much to unstick the valves, in fact just removing the top off the float bowl was enough to free the front carb needle and the rear just needed some gently persuasion.

Car runs well, I did some testing today. First time it has been able to move under its own steam since October 2010.

http://vid38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/foster461/First%20Drive%20After%20Rebuild_zpsw15bfc4v.mp4

Stan

Sounds like a TR, Stan -- congratulations.

An old friend and former Morgan driver, now long gone, had three criteria for a car. It had to start, stop, and steer. By that standard, I think you're just about finished.

Stan

I put two imperial gallons in my tank and took the reading on my dipstick, (gauge has never worked) so that I can use that as a reserve level indicator.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Can you tell me the measurement on the dipstick with only two gallons ?

Do you have any other volume-dipstick mark reference?

Jesus

Edited by jbenajes

Hi Dave,

Can you tell me the measurement on the dipstick with only two gallons ?

Do you have any other volume-dipstick mark reference?

Jesus

Hi Jesus

115mm for the two gallons, and I have another at 380mm where I won´t go above, because I am not happy that the connection to the tank and the filler cap is petrol tight and I don´t want a spill into the boot or anywhere else.

Dave

Hey Stan, I enjoyed the video. Congrats on the Maiden voyage. You made it farther than I did my first time :-)

Cheers

Tush

LOL. After I went up and down the driveway I found one large nut and three washers of various sizes dropped at various points on the driveway. No idea where they came from, hoping they were fasteners that I dropped and could not find and they fell out of their hiding places.

Really enjoying your YouTube series too Tush, good source of inspiration on those dark days when nothing is going right.

Stan