Under Bonnet Sound Deadening? Advice please

Hello again,

My car is being repainted and the panels have just come back to the paint shop from the blasters. All are in reasonable condition but the underbonnet had had felt attached and the blasting could not remove it all as the glue is rock hard. The bodyshop says it can spend time (money!) on painstakingly removing this or I could replace the sound deadening if I preferred.

What do you think I should do? If I go with replacing the felt or whatever does anyone have any reccommendations, shiny or black etc etc.

Thanks

Charles

Very sensible of the body shop to NOT blast it.

I would retrieve the bonnet and find some solvent

to remove the glue.

Paint stripper softens/removes most glues.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Charles

I have one of the ones Simon provided the link to

They look great

Not sure what value that add or detract re heat or noise insulation though

Just applied with a heat resistant contact adhesive

Graze

Hi Charles,

a decent paint stripper should remove the felt and glue.

Forget Nitromors as it really is quite useless these day.

Starchem synstrip works very well - it actually hurts if you get it on your skin. Paint suppliers or Ebay.

Roger

Thanks Roger and Simon for the stripper info. and to Graze and Simon for the under bonnet material that seems to be for all models except my TR4A but will continue looking along those lines as the bonnet is miles away and by the time I get it back it will al be painted and body panels re-asembled. I think a black felt type woul;d be OK but am worried about how the 'power bump' will look with material cut around it?

Charles

Hi Charles,

be very careful with simple black felt as it can trap and hold grease/oil/petrol.

Moss do a range of sound deadening sheets. I think they are Dynamat or something similar. here we are http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/dynamat-insulation

A bit pricey but purpose built.

Do not forget though this will ot help underbonnet temp.

Roger

Thanks Roger, I will see if I can get it on a roll as I dont want joins, I see the link shows squares of the material. I know the heat disipation will be inhibited but given the state of the underbonnet paint after blasting I dont have choice. I have fitted a TR6 multi-bladed fan and an electric fan so should have a gale blowing through the rad!

Charles

Charles:

You could go with the Italian solution

Remove any remaining underfelt back to a decent dry surface.

Apply black underseal/Schutz type material for a matt finish.

This will look decent and provide some anti-vibration qualities.

Edited by Paul Harvey

Thanks to Simon and Graze,

Here is an answer I just received from the US company you suggested to my enquiry which may just solve the problem.

The picture didn't come through Paul if you could try again it would be good to see how it compares (pm me if you cant add it).

Thanks

Charles

Re: Triumph TR4A Under Hood material
LBCarCo 04:49
To: Charles Taverner

Charles

By the foot in 48 inch widths, it runs $22.50.

Please use the REPLY function (and include any previous emails) when responding to an email received from me.

Best Regards,

Jeff Zorn
Little British Car Co. / Vintage Motors, LTD.
http://www.LBCarCo.com
On 3/8/2015 9:15 PM, Charles Taverner wrote:

Hi Jeff,
Yes I can see that from your site and perhaps that is because there is a bubble on the bonnet that would be difficult to fit into. Do you sell the material by the roll? I may be able to creatively spend time cutting, shaping and pasting into that area.
Thanks
Charles