Sourcing Stock from Show TRaders

Hi Folks,

in connection with the 'chaos at Stoneleigh' thread does anybody know the best way to source items from the traders BUT without going to the shows.

The shows are great places for getting many items at very good prices but there is the cost of getting there, getting in and the surrounding chaos each time.

I bought six rolls of blue paper towel for £8. In Halfords it is £3 for one small roll.

I should have bought a show programme but didn;t have brain engaged.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Over the years that I've been in the restoration game, I've always collected Traders Business cards or contact details. Especially the ones who have provided me with good service or are likely to stock or source particular parts i'm wanting. Most of the decent traders in my experience will send me parts by post if I ring or email them. I agree, at times that relying on shows to source parts is not always convenient. And living in the Midlands, it's surprising how many Traders live quite local to me so I can collect a lot of stuff personally.

Noel

Roger, you're welcome to my programme if you want it (it was free). Not all the exhibitors have addresses though, in fact only the minority.

Edited by peejay4A

Hi Folks,

my original posts sounds a bit 'anti-show' but that is not the case.

We need all the shows we can get up and down the country.

They give us access to the spares, inspiration and a chat with chums.

As one England football manager once said - 'do I not like queuing' or something like that.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I find that if you ring up the traders asking for what you are looking for, they are mostly very helpful. TR Bitz are my local people, along with a few other smaller outfits that have helped me out over the years and some of these advertise in TR Action, like Carl Fitchett of TR Trader.

These traders tend to be very helpful. For example, I was in the workshop at TR Bitz a couple of weeks ago and Johnny their engineer was rebuilding a rear axle for a TR3. He spent about 15 minutes telling me all about their procedure and modifications that had been learned over many years of doing this work as well as showing me in detail the work they were doing on a highly modified new build for a customer. Nothing too much trouble and all very enlightening.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I would agree entirely that the garages can be very helpful.

I was thinking more in the line of disposable cleaning, rust removing, simple tooling stuff. Halfords is fine but are limited.

Roger

Halfords have stopped stocking fan belts. FAN BELTS!

Roger, were you remembering, ""When seagulls follow ze trawler it is because zey sink sardines will be thrown into the sea"?

Sardines - queueing outside Stoneliegh? Non? Tant pis.

Jean