window weather seals

Guest kevin fryer

Guest kevin fryer

Hi

Purchased tr6 back in October 2014. Completed various jobs and now onto window weather seals. Purchased from Rimmerbros but quality is questionable. Whist I have taken regulator out and Glass it is still not an easy job, even using the specific tool for the job. My question is. do you glue the rubber part of the seal to the top of the door as the finish as is is not very good. Is part the problem the Rimmers seal. Are any other ones suggested. Finally if it is glued can you suggest the right glue for the job. This is my first post date to date. Learnt so much just looking at previous articles. Thanks to everyone who has input.

Kevin

I don't think you'll get the glass back in if I'm reading your post correctly and you have removed the glass to fit the weatherstrip.

As I remember, the weatherstrips have to go in last.

Jerry.

You can fit the glass with the outer weatherstrip in place but without the inner, you need to insert it at 90 degrees and lift the outer rubber strip inner edge up to clear the winder channel. Let the glass sit right at the bottom of the door with the lower stop and wire removed then fit the inner strip by fitting the clips to the door frame and then press the strip into place. Again check it for length and trim down if needed but make sure the kink is in the right place to match the door shape.

TR Shop ones work fine, you do need to make sure that the clips are fitted correctly on the depressions on the lower leg of the seal and that you have also trimmed each end of the lower leg to suit the length of the hole. When fitting make sure that you keep pressure on the strip downwards as you fit each clip then it will sit right on the top edge of the door.. It maybe that someone has reskinned the door badly which wont help either.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Thanks Stuart most helpful. Can anybody confirm if you need to use adhesive to stick the rubber outer seal to the door for a better fit?

Kevin

You dont need any glue to fit them.

Stuart.

After wrestling with these on a range if old English cars I discovered that it is key to get the clips from the correct supplier. After a lot of research I found that woollies were the only people who truly supply the correct size. Cheers

Tim