Does the TR5 fuel tank have baffles?

Hi All

My TR5 coughs and splutters on I think left hand corners when she's below about quarter full. I assume thats because she hasn't got baffles in the tank. Can you confirm this and does anyone have any recommendations for which ali tank I should go for if that is the case. I am still on the original fuel pump and plan to to change for a bosch kit and do both at the same time if required.

Cheers

Tim

I didn't suffer from this problem, my spluttering occurred if I didn't use it for a few weeks.

I had a new pump and regulator which I fitted, (pic) I don't think tanks were meant to have other than normal ones but not certain.

DSC04835.jpg

Hi Tim, i reckon alot of TR5`s do this, mine does as there are no baffles in the original tanks....Its not a problem, i either remember on a left hand bend to accelerate gently, or keep the tank above a quarter full !

On my recent rebuild i fitted a modern tank, from moss i think, and have no problems at all....lucas pump too...

Have fun,

All the best,

Conrad.

I have only experienced the problem twice, and that was when it was a scorching summer day (remember what those are?) with a very low level of fuel in the tank - so put both down to vapourisation as once cooled down or filled up all was good... Nothing otherwise.

Cheers

Ian

Tim,

Mine did not and had all the correct pipework. I was told by Gerry at Enginuity that the original TR5 did not have an internal swirlpot in the tank and therefore were prone to cutting out at fuel level lower than c 25% on sharp corners.

The 2.5 PI tanks had a swirl pot build in....I fitted a Revington version and cna get down to c3 litres before the pump becomes loud and the car unhappy.

I would have fitted an Andy Wiltshire (which has a swirlpot and baffles) but his waiting list of c9 months was too long in the end.

Snowy