How good is the heater?

Unless the outputs have been modified then you get warm air to the screen and down out of the heater to the top of the tunnel, the eyeball vents are only feeding cold air. Unless you have the vent flap open on a CP car then you wont really get enough airflow for proper demist with the standard fan even on second speed if the cabin is wet/damp. Make sure the heater control on the top rear of the engine is fully open as the cable control often wont pull it open far enough as well.

Stuart.

Hi,

I think you will find early TR6's had a vent on the bonnet. Mine is a 1972 model and has one. My mate has 1973 which has a fixed plastic grill.

I find my flying Jacket, with modern wind proof gloves, topped of with a hat with fitted earcovers keeps me warm enough for 1 1/2 hour drive even on a frosty morning - great exhilarating fun.

I only ever use the roof if I get caught out by a summer downpour.

Hayes manual shows detail and use of all knobs and switches - a good buy.

Regards

Steve

The Plastic Vent was fitted to later cars as dealers were getting compliants from customers of early 6's about poor demisting, because they hadn't opened the metal vent flap!

Edited by Denis

Those with plastic grilles face rotted out plenums owing to their perpetually open state!

Some enterprising folks have converted back to flaps for just that reason ;)

I have indeed converted some back, a fiddly job but worth doing.

Stuart.

No vent lid on a CR, I changed the head valve and flushed the matrix with a kettle descaler, now its working very well...

HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALL

Stuart, sorry for the minor incursion on this thread, how did you secure the spring for the flap, I'm in the process of converting back to a flap.

Stuart, sorry for the minor incursion on this thread, how did you secure the spring for the flap, I'm in the process of converting back to a flap.

Robin you will need to make up a couple of plates with a curved trough in them that go over the spring and then bolt them through the front face of the plenum to hold it unless you are building from scratch in which case they are spot welded on. If you can get a sight of the positions of the plates on an original would help.

Stuart.

Stuart, yep understood, many thanks.

Don't wast money on an uprated heater for the 6. Unlike the uprated ones for the TR3-3A the ones for the later cars use relatively old tech' and don't offer any significant improvement on the standard fitment.

Good matrix, winter stat and the heater is good enough to toast your feet!