How good is the heater?

I use my car during the winter, if there's no salt on the road, often with the roof down!

Mad I know, but my heater seems quite weak and I'm looking to see if I can get some more umph from it

How good should the heater be! And are there any tips and trick I can emply to improve performance

Many thanks in advance

Gary

Hi Gary, I know a lot of people complain about the efficiency of the heaters, but so you don't get too disheartened, mine works fine and has for 24 years - I seldom use the blower, ram air is usually sufficient.

I therefore have no tips but wanted to let you know that they do work.

Cheers

Allan

Yep heater even in good nick with fan is not great compared with moderns. Don't Remington or someone do a kit with a more efficient rad and blower, it ain't cheap tho. Be interesting to know if its better. I'm a no roof man so it wrap up warm, good leather flying jacket, wooly hat gloves works for me. I'm sniffing around a windbreaker as the back draft seems to be the culprit for lots of cold air in cabin.

Hi Gary,

my 4A heater works very well and should be the same as the 6.

As suggested make sure you have the correct thermostat in the engine for the rad.

Perhaps give the whole system a good 'RadFlush'.

Again as suggested the water valve bung up or just not work very well.

Roger

Was out for a hour's spin yesterday, -2c but forgot my gloves, hands were freezing when I got back but the rest of me was ok. Heater is not brilliant but certainly adequate. Got called a silly old t*$t by a bloke at some lights, I said it took one to know one seeing he was wearing shorts :)

Might invest in a new thermostat, need to save up first.

Dave

Gary

If the water valve and thermostat are ok you could try flushing the heater matrix. If this still doesn't help then you might want to consider these options

1. Replace the heater fan with a new one - Moss sell them

2. A Clayton high output heater http://www.claytoncc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

(the heater matrix is available separately, I think).

3. An electric water pump in line with the heater water supply from the cylinder head (I used a second hand Audi pump from ebay)

4. Heated seat - I fitted electric heating elements into MX5 seats. Not difficult and they deliver the heat to where you want it most.

5. A wooly hat?

David

Remember to open the bonnet vent. The standard heater isn't great in recirculate mode.

is that the flap in front of the windscreen? how does it open? mines closed and there is very little airflow without the blower on high

Lever by the side of the central console by you knee..

Cheers Tim

ooohhhh. dopey me

I might have some insight into quantum mechanics, relativity and string theory but obviously levers are way beyond me!!!

thanks for the heads up chaps, I'll give the lever a tug and see if the heat flows!

:unsure:

I dont recall exactly how that lever operates (is it push or pull to open ?) but the lever has a plastic knob that is invariably broken and despite the lever action the whole shebang takes a lot more effort to open and close than you would expect. Best to give it a gentle push/pull and see what the front edge of the vent door does before applying a lot of force to open it.

Stan

The heater on my '6 works reasonably well. The lever mechanism for the air vent has long-gone (it wasn't present when I bought'TRoy'). I keep it open most of the time, only closing it 'manually'(i.e. pushing it shut with my hand) when I wash the car; I believe keeping a good airflow to the heater aids engine cooling, as well as the efficiency of the heater itself. Best wishes, Paul.

Edited by TR Paul

To open the vent flap push the lever forward, but if it hasnt been opened for some considerable time then you will probably find that the hinge on the flap is seized and so you may need one of you pushing and one of you easing the flap up. Some lube will help to free it up. New vent flaps arent expensive.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

The foam seal between the heater box and cowl can shrink and cause cold air to bypass the heater on into the cockpit. You may have to make your own as the usual suspects seem not to have them ( I made mine ). It's a pig to replace but makes quite a difference.

If your car has a hardtop and is especially well fitted weatherstrip-wise the exit path for ventilation may be inadequate ( if opening a window slightly improves the flow from the heater you've got that condition ).

My driver's heater is pretty good but the thermostat reads 1/4 warm; must be a " summer " version...so I reckon a " winter " 'stat would produce more than enough heat.

I replaced the heater blower motor and core in my show car but had to do a lot of compensating for their different sizes. The fan blades were NLA as of 2007 and quite fragile to boot; I had a spare but pity those who break them in the process of removing without same. Its heater is excellent but the airtight cockpit limits the flow somewhat.

I don't have a hard top, with the roof down and the blower on speed 1 there's almost nothing coming out of the dash vents and very little coming from under the dash. With the soft top up the blower can't demist the windscreen even in position 2. It's a CP car with the flap (haven't tried it with the flap open yet)

thanks

Gary

Hi Gary

You will get way more air flow with the flap open, almost like a ram air effect, greater your speed greater the air flow. 1971 CP.

Let us know if that works? As you can see in my photo the flap is open.

I may be wrong but the fascia vents & footwell vents only blow cold air. Having said that I am sure I have read others have modified both to blow hot air?

Cheers

Mike B)

Edited by mike3739