Electric aerial -electricks help required on wiring

Hi all, picked up a NOS electric aerial (now I have an old school 70's radio to go with it),no instructions.

It has three wires yellow, green , red. The yellow and green make the mast go up and if reversed polarity, down, I assume the red controls this somehow. Anyone know how this should be wired please, Im assuming it needs some clever switch or relay ,thanks.

Probably something like this though the colours are different. There should be limit switches inside the aerial which stop the motor when fully up and down. It was usual for the aerial to go up automatically when you turned the radio on - the radio had an output connection for that as per this diagram (just 12v on/off) . I don't recall needing a relay but it depends on the type of aerial you have.

Its worth trying 12v on red, earth on green and use the yellow as the switching lead. 12v up, 0v down. Of course, the motor will be polarity conscious and you might find its the wrong way round for your car. (i.e . pos or neg earth)

Fingers crossed !

post-7865-0-30615700-1416077636_thumb.jpg

Robin

I started a thread on this very subject a few months back. Unfortunately I' m not sure how to find the link using my Iphone- techno dummy!

In my case it was to activate my GT6 aerial from a 1980's radio cassette. This had no external trigger wire for the aerial and I'd wired it to extend via the ignition. This was no longer viable due to overhead height restrictions caused by my 4-post lift.

I took the radio apart and soldered the aerial trigger wire to one of two switched 12v wires coming from the on/ off switch. These wires were situated immediately behind the radio front plate. Result- an aerial which only extended when the radio was switched on.

I don't know what make your radio is, but I'm sure if you open it up and check with a multimeter the switched 12V wires will reveal themselves.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Stuart. I really need to get to grips with this IPhone thingy. Maybe I'll understand it better in 25 years time when it'll be a classic!

Cheers

Alan

Probably nothing to do with the I thingy, all you need to do is hover cursor over your name and then click on "Find content" then trawl back through what you have posted.

Stuart.