I'm having this annoying problem opening my glove box.

It seems that I have to insert something, a key, or small screw driver to keep the lock pressed in to open it.

I have to kind of jam the item in the lock to keep it pressed in, otherwise, it seems like the spring is not strong enough to

open the door.

The lock works fine, locking, or unlocking.

Do you think I need another lock assembly, or the light switch with spring, or both?

Has anyone had this problem, or is it just Gremlins? Many years ago it worked fine. (You know how that goes.)

George.

Try moving the clip that the latch engages to lock the chubby, forward a tiny bit..don't ask how I know

The early CP cars had just a push button lock...which do stick...whereas the later type had a finger pull which meant they knew the early one was problamatic! Which type do you have ?

Edited by Denis

George. I had this problem. Had to play around with the back plate that the lock hooks on to so that it remains shut. This plate ( on mine !) can be adjusted o or bent !!! Slightly, but now when I push the lock button it opens fine. Let us all know if that works please. Cheers Peter

Don't know if it helps but, I had the same problem on my '6' and spent hours trying to cure it, with limited success

I was at TRGB, buying a heap if stuff and mentioned the problem.

They suggested the little finger pull, fitted the the TR5 glovebox lid.

I took the plunge, bought the part, (Glove box finger pull, pt no 609463) for the princely sum of £4.25 plus the dreaded vat, did the necessary fettling and now it works fine.

John

Don't know if it helps but, I had the same problem on my '6' and spent hours trying to cure it, with limited success

I was at TRGB, buying a heap if stuff and mentioned the problem.

They suggested the little finger pull, fitted the the TR5 glovebox lid.

I took the plunge, bought the part, (Glove box finger pull, pt no 609463) for the princely sum of £4.25 plus the dreaded vat, did the necessary fettling and now it works fine.

John

I did exactly the same. A little while filing away until it fitted fine. no problems now

Simon

It looks like the finger pull is the way to go.

When I push the button, it releases, but when I release finger pressure on the button, instead of it coming open,

it just catches again.

I'm also missing the plunger buffer part No. 631001. It's no longer supplied.

I'm wondering if that gave a bit of pressure to allow the door to open before the catch engaged again.

I did try to adjust the back plate but it only made the door in or out too far.

Finger pull ordered.

On a side note, as most of Europe is settling down for winter, it's just the opposite here in Florida.

The horrendous high heat and humidity has gone, and now I can work on and drive my TR6.

Best to all-

George.

Glad to have been able to help.

It's nice to be able to give something back to the forum, having received heaps of help in the past

let us know how you get on and what you think of the end result

John

• 5 years later...