So today is a bridge day as tomorrow is a public holiday. Thankfully my office was closed but the kids still had school (yeehaa!). So took Thruxton out for a real blast down to Waterloo (sunny, 8 degrees) - came back feeling well chilled in both senses. Brunch was a couple of fried eggs with bread and coffee on a heated terrace with a friend.

I then dug the 6 out. You may recall that the battery was playing up. So I replaced that. And I was right, it was the battery. She fired up second attempt - amazing! Took 6 out for a gentle spin down to Waterloo as well. I then filled her up, gave her some love and a quick light wash to have her clean for the winter. Then a solid blast up the Ring to get her dry before heading back to the garage.

When I got back I put her up stands for the first time ever (see photo). Not sure if the placement is right but she is sitting very firmly. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: Chassis width is slightly wider than the stands but the fit looks fine. I am tempted to leave her up like this for a couple of weeks to give the tyres a rest. I will not "winter" the car like some have suggested and she will be gettng a run when the weather is sunny and the roads are saltfree and dry over the winter.

Any advice on using the stands? Am I doing this wrong? :blink:

(also took the Stag out today for a run - so enjoyable but a completely different drive from the 6 - but both are just bloody great :wub: ).

What a great day. B)

Cheers

post-12044-0-60244700-1415633348_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trigbush

I never bother with stands, like you I use mine in the winter as and when it is sunny, it's been like that for 10 years since I restored it and still on the same tyres, no flat spots or wobble due to deformation. That is the joy of living here one day skiing the next out in the 6.

I remember my first trip to Waterloo, I dropped my wife off at UTAN. Where she worked, took a wrong turn on the way back and next thing I knew I was passing the Waterloo monument!

Andy

When I got back I put her up stands for the first time ever (see photo). Not sure if the placement is right but she is sitting very firmly. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Any advice on using the stands? Am I doing this wrong? :blink:

Gavin,

When using stands, place them as close as possible under the suspension points to have the best possible spread of weight - 4 tyres can't be wrong...... ;)

Edit: just dug this photos out which hopefully illustrates what I mean:

163707_1585655076488_1410405_n.jpg?oh=05

10671391_10203388799895909_4235335752218

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Hi Andrew,

give the man credit, even for a eurocrat lawyer that's an innovative description of a lumpy fart . . . . .

Either that, or he's telling tales out of bed, and die fraulein is likely to retaliate at some inappropriate moment with a discreet cough, of the sort that results in dental circumcision . . . . .

Careful now Gavin, the ladies of Hamburg, Hannover and Hildesheim were bad enough, but Heidelberg was another story, and by the time you got to Bayern it was every man for himself . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Just a thought..with those types of axle stands (with the 'U' profile on the top plate), given that the chassis is wider than the U, I tend to place wood between the chassis and stand. Ive even modified a set of stands to have a U section wider than the chassis width to prevent the edge of the stand digging into the chassis.

Thanks Andrew - I thought you might come through on that!

Gavin, at least you didn't say 'follow though'..........:D

Alec, sounds very painful, but almost pleasurable! :o

Andrew, good idea about the wood and modified axle head. The latter has been on the slop-chit for a number of years, but has been replaced with one of Alec's 'roundtuits'. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Andrew

Cheers

Andrew

The latter... has been replaced with one of Alec's 'roundtuits'. :rolleyes:

I didn't know Alec was on Twitter.

Anyway, I should I have known that I would have been caught out by the innuendo mob. Bahaha.

You're right Alec. Extreme caution required with lifting cars and dealing with Frauleins. Anyway she's in the Fatherland today. Hit Primark at 8.30am. Next, Czechoslovakia!

Thanks for the pointers on axle stands people - I will see about some wood.

Spent some time looking at the other thread/diagrams on the forum from 2013 on axle stand placement. Whilst I think my placement was fine I realised the rear stands could have been 6" further down the chassis towards the rear wheels. I took it down today as I did not feel comfortable leaving it up. I also realised that the door on the driver's side had more difficulty in opening that usual suggesting some flex in the chassis. I know it's a solid piece and that it's forty years old but I think it is preferable not to put it under strain unless I have to. As I am not going to hibernate the car, and I will drive it through the winter, I see this as a little experiment. Also discovered that the jack is too high profiled to slide under the front valence for central jacking under the front cross-member and I don't like jacking one side at a time with the car up like that.