I am looking at fitting a shut off valve to my 4A as an anti theft device. I have come across the Greenfield Engineering TDA47 12v solenoid valve at about £35 - apparently supplied as an OEM part on some deisel vans but also used for petrol, or the Car Builder Solutions #FUVAL fuel shut off valve at £94.80.

Has anyone any experience of these or other solenoid valves?

If the Greenfield valve is the same thing that was featured a few years ago in Traction then that is what I have been using for some time with great success. It has a hidden switch which will cut off the fuel supply once the remaining flow in the fuel line has been used. This will mean the car will stop after a short distance & fail to start until the switch is used again. This hopefully would mean the thief stranded somewhere! There is also a valve actually on the unit which is usually left on as the unit is hidden under the vehicle on the chassis. All works very well along with battery cut-off/tracking device etc. etc.

Cheers,

Monty.

It'll run maybe 50 yards on the fuel in the float chambers. Far enough perhaps to embarass you when you forget to switch on. Or worse.

Check it will flow enough fuel- for 120 hp you need it to flow 30 litres per hour, or 7 galls per hour.

Peter

Could in turn lead to him vandalising the car!

A good cheap anti-theft device is a hidden switch in series with the ignition.

Well you cannot prevent everything!

See TR Action No 244 Page 28 should be of help.

Cheers Chris

Well done Chris. I failed to locate the correct issue but the cut-off item you refer to is exactly the one I fitted a few years ago.

Supplied by Tinley, it has been very reliable & gives a little piece of mind along with a battery cut- off, flashing alarm light, a simple tracking device, krooklock & a big stick in case I catch them!

Cheers,

Monty.

Could in turn lead to him vandalising the car!

A good cheap anti-theft device is a hidden switch in series with the ignition.

Current day thieves are unlikely to be put off by a simple switch in the ignition. They would hot wire it in a flash, all too easy in a TR.

Peter's point regarding flow rate could be a factor but the Tinley valve has been fine on my 100 BHP 3A.

On occasion when forgetting to switch on the valve, when the engine starts to stutter if you throw the switch quickly the fuel feed returns fast enough to avoid stalling.

The fuel valve hopefully gives an element of surprise that will wrong foot a villian.

I have a third "security" pedal in my car that will stop all but the most determined (or old) thief over here.

Tom, nice looking mod, and good writeup in TR Action.

Out of curiousity, how many people have had spare tires stolen from the under-boot compartment over the years? I had a tire stolen thirty-plus years ago -- likely a prank by kids and rolled someplace I never was able to find -- when I had a wheel leaned up against the rear quarter holding down a tarp, in an apartment building parking lot. I've not known anyone who's had their tire compartment raided.

Thanks guys,

I agree that anything electrical can be hot wired in a flash - including the fuel cut off valve unless well hidden. Whereas 6 owners often disconnect the fuel pump we do not have that option so feel a hidden valve should stop all but the most persistent thief.

It seems there are a number of suitable valves out there and you pays your money and makes your choice.