As a novice sprayer, which is the best spray gun to use.....gravity or suction. Am spraying cellulose.

Thx.

Personal favourite is a DeVibiss suction gun JGA style.Like this if your quick. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DeVILBISS-Spray-Painting-Kit-/251550580356?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item3a91953e84

Stuart.

Dick

I used to use a suction gun years ago but now use gravity feed guns, as they are more tolerant to viscosity variations in the paint, and all the paint goes through the gun, whereas a suction gun leaves some in the bottom of the pot; not such an issue with celly as you can return it to the tin, but as I use 2 pack you have to use it all or throw it away.

The Devilbiss guns are the pro's standard, but a little expensive. I use 2 guns made by Bergen, look on Ebay, they do a mini 100 ml gun, and a 500 ml full size gun for around £25, which I woukd recomend as a good buy.

Always use a disposaable strainer when you fill the gun, and use a viscosity cup till you get used to thinning the paint. Celly is good but produces a lot of overspray, and, becuse it dries almost instantly, cannot be touched in if you miss a bit, whereas 2 pack stays wet for several minutes so you can touch in any missed bits. I use 2 pack with an air fed mask, from Machine Mart, which is great if your compressor can keep up. If you use an air fed mask, DO buy a filter which removes the airbourne oil as its very toxic to breath in oil mist.

Main down side of 2 pack is its proneness to fish-eye (silicone contamination) , but as it doesn't shrink much ( unlike celly ) , what you put on is what you end up with. I would certainly use 2 pack primer if you can, as it can be put on thickly ( hence the advantage of a gravity fed gun) and will harden right through without skinning over or shrinking.

Good luck, its a steep learning curve but suggest you look on Youtube as there will be loads of video advice.

Mike

Dick

I used to use a suction gun years ago but now use gravity feed guns, as they are more tolerant to viscosity variations in the paint, and all the paint goes through the gun, whereas a suction gun leaves some in the bottom of the pot; not such an issue with celly as you can return it to the tin, but as I use 2 pack you have to use it all or throw it away.

The Devilbiss guns are the pro's standard, but a little expensive. I use 2 guns made by Bergen, look on Ebay, they do a mini 100 ml gun, and a 500 ml full size gun for around £25, which I woukd recomend as a good buy.

Always use a disposaable strainer when you fill the gun, and use a viscosity cup till you get used to thinning the paint. Celly is good but produces a lot of overspray, and, becuse it dries almost instantly, cannot be touched in if you miss a bit, whereas 2 pack stays wet for several minutes so you can touch in any missed bits. I use 2 pack with an air fed mask, from Machine Mart, which is great if your compressor can keep up. If you use an air fed mask, DO buy a filter which removes the airbourne oil as its very toxic to breath in oil mist.

Main down side of 2 pack is its proneness to fish-eye (silicone contamination) , but as it doesn't shrink much ( unlike celly ) , what you put on is what you end up with. I would certainly use 2 pack primer if you can, as it can be put on thickly ( hence the advantage of a gravity fed gun) and will harden right through without skinning over or shrinking.

Good luck, its a steep learning curve but suggest you look on Youtube as there will be loads of video advice.

Mike

Of course you can blow in cellulose in any area that you may have missed as it will flow back into what you have already done. It may need some flatting and polishing round the dry edge but its far easier to correct than 2 pack which once it has gone off is extremely difficult to blow in unless you are a skilled professional

Stuart.

In comparison to the cost of a professional spray job, a hundred or a couple of hundred quid on a decent spray gun is neither here nor there.

As for masks, air fed and filtered supply, and if your compressor isn't big enough then buy a second small compressor to supply fresh air directly to the mask - and make sure it is fresh air from outside the spraying environment, not contaminated with paint fumes.

I knew one TR man who knackered his lungs after just 5 minutes of spraying 2-pack in an inadequately ventilated garage, and another who suffered serious damage after an allergic reaction to cellulose whilst spraying just 2 wings and a front panel. Neither lived to see 50. It is very easy to underestimate the possible dangers - a minority of folks are much more sensitive than most, but by the time that individual susceptibility is discovered it's too late, the damage has been done.

Cheers

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle