Universal Joints

Hi Everyone

Just to let you know that the rust treatment on the bulkhead has gone very well, am quite proud of my first attempt. I used Kurust in the end and then 3 coats of Pro build. Now to decide whether to use a Hammerite spray I found in the garage or to hand paint but have to mix paint with hardener and thinner. Drawn to the easy option of spray. Now I have done that bit I am tempted to carry along....

I now have a slight clonk when lifting my foot off the clutch and have been advised it's probably a UJ, nothing on the forum when I did a search and can't work out where the info would be in the workshop manual. I had prop shaft ujs done in 2012 and looking through records 4 were replaced in the rear half shaft in 2001. I have her mot booked on Tuesday, would anything be seen whilst she is in the air? Would be good to know what I am looking at. Is it urgent? Is it difficult? Got a140 mile journey coming up next month

Thanks troops

Christine

Hi Christine,

my comments in red -

I now have a slight clonk when lifting my foot off the clutch and have been advised it's probably a UJ, nothing on the forum when I did a search and can't work out where the info would be in the workshop manual. I had prop shaft ujs done in 2012 GOOD and looking through records 4 were replaced in the rear half shaft in 2001 BAD.

I have her mot booked on Tuesday, would anything be seen whilst she is in the air you may get some movement if you hold the drive shaft and give it a twist however it would be better if the wheel was off the ground. The outer UJ can't be seen anyway.?

Would be good to know what I am looking at. Is it urgent if you have only recently noticed it then probably not urgent? Is it difficult to a person with reasonable engineering skills it is not difficult? Got a140 mile journey coming up next month

It could be the drive shaft splines that are worn. You really need to remove the shafts to see what is going on. If they need replacement the Protech Services in Kidderminster are the best for the standard style.

Very slight chance that the pins that hold the diff up into the bridge may have come loose - difficult to see. When the car is up on the MOT ramp get the man to put his hand up as high as possible over the bridge to feel the top of the bridge where the pins poke through - should be nice a smooth / crack free.

Roger

If you have brush painted the primer don't bother spraying the final coat.

Just carry on with the brush. Mix up a little of the paint in a jar or tin.

Spray is difficult to get into awkward corners.

You will get too much and it will run.

It's always well-worthwhile mentioning any concerns to your MOT man before he starts. Most will check any possible problem areas (even things not directly part of the test) whilst under there - better safe than sorry.