Are TR4's meant to have an angle drive connection at the gearbox or is it just a straight fit cable to gearbox

Graze

Edited by Graze

Graze

I am sure I will be corrected if wrong but I think the angle drive is needed if you have overdrive fitted as there is no room to bend the cable itself within the confines of the gearbox tunnel. Mine has overdrive and the angle drive..

Phil..

Hi Graze,

I found that an angle drive would not fit due to the floor pan being too close to the side of the overdrive.

When I tried the speedo cable on its own it fitted nicely to the overdrive and could be routed very smoothly down through the handbrake lever hole in the floor pan.

Have a look at the handbrake rubber grommet, it is shaped to allow for this routing.

According to the Moss catalogue the angle drives were never fitted to TR4’s, only TR4A’s, etc…….!!!!!

Regards, Richard

Many thanks

That being the case what would the likely case of a fluctuating speedo needle - just a sticky cable?

Graze

Hi

Does this mean then that the cable a 4 will run behind the carpet outside the tunnel cover and then under the floor as said through the grommet at the handbrake base..As said previously my 4 has an angle drive fitted to the overdrive unit, already on there when I bought it..

Phil,,

Hi Phil,

The cable comes straight through the side of the gearbox tunnel and then down through the hole in the floor for the handbrake lever.

The tunnel should have a cutout into which fits the top radiused half of the handbrake rubber grommet - thus the cable remains totally unseen.

Regards, Richard

Interesting will have a look later, that means if the angle drive breaks which it did about 3 yrs ago I would be able to just re-route the cable and not bother with a new one.

Cheers Phil..

Provided your cable is long enough then yes.

Stuart.