Front Stub Axle Removal Tips?

SO, after 8 weeks from Stoneligh it looks like my uprated front hub kits may actually arrive this week .......

Which means i need to remove the old stub axles, which as far as i know are original.

Ive had a search and shall :

undo the inner fastening nut a litlle, and tap it with a cushioned hammer, possibly warming up the vertical link gently.

if this fails to work, and after 40 years im not expecting them to pop out easily!, what else is recommended?

I'm thinking a suitable length of steel pipe placed over the stub axle would allow the outer nut to be used to 'pull' the axle out, probably combined with technique 1.

Any other suggestions, is there a proper tool for this job ?

steve

Hi Steve

A good soaking and a good wack was OK for me, but maybe worth checking the vertiacl link and trunnions while you are there as mine were shot.

Thanks Kev,

The suspension has been worked over extensively but that was a while ago, so yes will check everything for play.

steve

I have had success with a three legged Puller.

O er

When it pops make sure your body parts are well away from the stub axle, it may come out

Likea bullet.

cheers

Guy

Fit it to the rear to push out stub

Edited by Jersey Royal

Hi Steve,

when I did mine in the 90's I used a 20 ton press and it went with an almighty bang - quite frightening.

However you may be lucky and is worth a try.

use your scaffold pole and tighten the outer wheel nut. Heat on the link may be benfiacial. (possible good soaking in PlusGas before hand).

With the inner axle nut undone so it is flush with the stud thread give it an almighty whack.

If it is being replaced then damage doesn;t matter. However if it is going back (or not coming out) try not to damage it.

Then find a garage with a good press - Enginuity in Acton are handy.

Roger

Thanks everyone.

I shall add a three legged puller to the list of attach methods...... isn't that the IOM rather than Jersey ?!

Steve

Edited by SDerbyshire