Fuel dip stick fabrication

Hi all,

I wish to fabricate a dipstick for the TR3A fuel tank level, to back up my suspicious fuel gage (even after several attempts to calibrate it).

Can you help me with the required data of fuel volume versus level height on the dipstick?

Thanks in advance.

Jesús

If no one can advise, Jesus, do it empiricly.

Run the tank down as low as you dare.

Take a stick with you to the petrol station.

Fill with five litres, dip and mark the stick.

Repeat, until tank full.

Voila!

Not my idea. I've sen many race cars with calibrated dipsticks in their boots.

ohn

agree with JRD, I have done this for my equally unreliable 3A gauge after getting tired of filling up every 50 miles or so and developing PFS OCD syndrome.

(we also use the same system for fuelling the formula fords with the minimum necessary (weight n all that) - round dowel with notches personal to each car.

With 5l marks, you should get around 9 or 10 notches - which helps to assess whether you have 30%, 50%, 70% on board !

If like my local busy PFS, which is always full dawn til dusk since it became an M&S (and is on a unnerving slope) and you can't take your time to fill and mark, borrow a large jerry can for the 5 litre a time fill at home.

PS

Ideally have a cross bar or handle or something on top of the stick - its a bugger it it falls in the tank and has to be retrieved !

PPS

be careful not to clout the float/arm

Thanks for the responses and the practical recommendations.

Actually, what I intended with my post was getting the data from somebody who did the dipstick calibration and waiving the petrol pouring fun at home.

Jesus

It is actualy not that difficult to setup / re-calibrate the fuel guage to the sender. I had to do it to mine last year.

Won't go into it here , but if anybody wants to know how to do it, let me know.

Bob.