I have almost finished the body-off nut and bolt rebuild of my 1955 TR2

I will be fitting 60 spoke wires from the TR Shop ( with spacers)in place of the existing steel wheels.

I will use the car for normal fun driving(no racing or fast road work) and I need advice on the best make /type of tyre to fit and the rough cost.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rogeraero

In Australia we can get a Dutch brand tyre called Vredistien (might have spelt that wrong). I'm told they have been around a very long time. Reports I've had are they wear very well. You can even still get them in a 155/15 size.

I recently bought a set, not yet fitted, cost me $170(each) Aus fitted and balanced.

The tyre guys like them as he said they always balance well and he never gets warrenty claims o them.

Mychael

Guest GDalzell

Roger,

I just asked a similar question. I haven't had much response but asking around it appears that fitting 5.5J wheels and 185.70 tyres may require you to roll the inside edge oof the rear wings to stop them chafing on hard cornering.  185.65 would appear to be legal but they are reported to look a bit strange because of the lower profile. Mostp eople seem to recommed the Colway road plus 185-70 as advertised and recommended by Revington. Colway do a direct mail order service through their rally department. If you get any other advice, I'd welcome it.

Cheers, Graham

My 2 came with 165/15s, but were about 15years old and though they had a fair amount of tread left, were a little hardened which made tackling roundabouts quite exciting.

I replaced with 155/15 Vredestein Sprint Classics and have been pleased with them. They look nice and original too.

The best price I could find last September was £43.30 each from www.mytyres.co.uk. Unfortunately they couldn't get a delivery date from the factory so I got them from longstonetyres.co.uk, total £281.41 for 5 tyres inc vat and next day delivery. Got them fitted for a fiver a wheel at my local tyre fitter.

Alan

Plymouth

Thanks everyone for your help...it is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Roger

Remember, you will do less miles in the TR than your everyday car (erm... well... OK... maybe not) and extra grip can be important... get a sticky tyre... some tyres can be bought in different compounds.  A good place to look is the Demon Tweeks Catalogue, not the motorsport one, but the "performance" one.They list and describe tyres from Kumho, Toyo, Yokohama, dunlop, Hankook, Falken and Colway (Colway in Motorsport Catalogue, rest covered in Performance catalogue).

Make sure you take advice on sizes for the rims you have...

Clive,

Which tyres did you plump for then?

Roger,

Where in the world are you? Just noticed you have a Harvard T6 under restoration. I had a go in one of those a couple of years ago in Florida. Lots of fun.

Alan

Alan, considering the fuel consumption of a T6 Roger must be located at a place where AVgas is very cheap :D

I gave up flying when, in the flight hour rate, fuel became more expensive than maintenance and engine overhaul :(

Jean

Roger

Are you planning on carrying a spare?

My 155-15 Goodyears on 4.5 inch wires are a very tight fit in the spare wheel compartment unless it is partly deflated.

Chris

Thanks for all your advice..I will go for Vredestein 155/15 as they seem to have the best press.

Alan you asked where I am in reference to the Harvard.

Well, my son, 3 others and I are rebuilding 147400 at Bruntingthorpe airfield, about 15 miles north of Northampton.

The airfield houses the famous Vulcan which has just received a lottery grant for completion of the rebuild to fly again.

Also around the airfield are many static aircraft saved from the knacker by the airfield's owner

The whole operation is private and rarely seen by the public,however if the Register members wanted a run out to look I would be happy to arrange it( I have done it for other groups)

Also in this area is Sywell aerodrome, a small private Club with hotel and viewing facilities. Attached is the Sywell Aviation museum set up by my son and his pals(it features in the aviation mags)This is situated about 5 miles east of Northampton (10 miles east of Junction 15 on the M1).

This is sometimes used as a venue for the MG Club rally (ugh!!!)as it has a large car park.

Again if anyone is interested a visit can be arranged.

NO..I am not the tourist officer for this area but there is lots to see here when you know where to look.

I hope you are still awake!!!

Regards

Roger

There's a Vulcan at Southend on Sea Airport parked up on the apron!

It flew in after one of the seafront airshows whereupon the RAF descended on it and took out all the secret bits!

The CAA prompty withdrew its Airworthiness Certificate even though it can still fly?

It still wizzes up and down the runway on odd weekends (usually when I'm playing Golf on the Course next to the runway).

Talk about loud!!!

pete