Brackets which don't appear in the parts book

Does anybody know what these two brackets are for?

I think they are supposed to fit under the dash - maybe under the glove box. I had two sets of them (from two cars) during my major re-build last year, chose the better pair, painted them, but when I came to fit them - there was nowhere obvious to put them. I had thought that they were used to support the glove box, but they don't come near enough to do any good.

Are they perhaps to mount a car radio from?

Bob.

I belive I know where they fit - Under the glove box, front end (open holes) fit between glove box front, & dash.

the bars then run towards the front (under glove box), kink upwards, & attach to existing fixings on the bulkhead.

The slotted holes are in the forward section, which is near horizontal.

Too far forward for a radio, but yes could be for a separate valve amp?

Bob.

Hello Bob,

I think you are right. We are discussing the same topic on British Car Forum . A gentleman pulled the valve box with brackets out of his TR2 (pictured below) This bracket provision apparently went hand-in-hand with the speaker hole in the foot well until deletion of both sometime during TR3A production. A Smith's installation note refers to deletion of the hole in April 59. See website for this document: http://www.tr3a.info/radiomobile.htm

Regards,

Walter

post-12641-0-82431100-1393249332_thumb.jpg

post-12641-0-82431100-1393249332_thumb.jpg

Edited by WalterR

I have never seen the other bracketry which is attached to the two long bars, but that would seem to solve the mystery.

If anyone wants the two main bars, then I have them nicely painted, & available.

Bob.