HI Chaps,

I have carried out a repair on my door, and plan to respray it.

I will be doing this in my garage but would like to ask what is considered to be the

Required temperature and relative humidity?

Temperature can be raised artificaily by an electric heater.

Thanks very much

Guy

Hi Guy,

The most important thing is to keep the repair area out of the humidity, moreso when using cellulose. Rather than fan heater which can kick up dust, use an infra-red heat lamp trained on the repair (not too close). Use the lamp to dry the paint for 15/20 mins, again not too close so that the heat warms the repair, moving it around evenly.

Good luck

Mike

Hi Guy,

The most important thing is to keep the repair area out of the humidity, moreso when using cellulose. Rather than fan heater which can kick up dust, use an infra-red heat lamp trained on the repair (not too close). Use the lamp to dry the paint for 15/20 mins, again not too close so that the heat warms the repair, moving it around evenly.

Good luck

Mike

HI Mike,

Thanks for your reply, I hadnt considered IR lamps,sounds expensive.

As I understand it, they could be used to warm the panel prior to paint, this would reduce the risk of blooming at this time of year,and then used to cure the paint.?

One thought, would you not have to ventilate the garage to allow solvent vapours to dissipate, prior to switching on IR.? In doing so would allow the humidity in the garage to increase.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Dry air for spraying with is the most important bit. Drain the compressor thoroughly and the separator and use an inline separator as well. Get the whole place warm as well as the panel with whatever you have as heating and then shut the heating down right before spraying. Tak rag and blow any dust off it as soon as you shut the heat down..Spray and leave for half an hour and there will be enough residual heat to dry it enough, then vent and put the heat back on. Any blooming can be easily cut back. Just make sure you have sealed off the door to the kitchen Guy. ;):wacko:

Stuart.

Thanks everyone for your responses, most helpfull epecially Niall, but will give the flames a miss.

Wednesday next week according to our forecast should be dry and sunny,so am aiming towards then.

Stuart, the garage leads off to the utility, so I have a slight airlock prior to fumes entering the kitchen, will make sure my goodlady is out. In any event I will tape up the door with duck tape.She has worked out that there will be some spraying going on soon.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Dust/hairs etc: Don't forget that woolly clothes shed particles readily, so an overall or even a cagoule is a good idea. If you are working in a regular garage damping the floor will keep dust down and stop any overspray from adhering.

Mike