Rear Suspension Bushes-help please

Hello Everyone

I'm looking to replace the rear, rubber suspension bushes with polybushes

Is it necessary to dismantle the whole of the rear suspension to do this or can the weight of the rear spring be supported by a trolley jack and the bushes replaced with the trailing arm in situ?

Any advice greatly received

Nick

I have heard that it is possible to do this without removing the trailing arm, but I can`t imagine it to be easy... I did this on my TR6 and removed "everything", not a lot of work really, and you get the opportunity to clean and check everything properly.

Edited by TRseks

Hi Nick,

remove the TA, it is not a great deal of work and then all the bits can be looked at/inspected. Remove the brackets that hold the TA and check for cracks coming out of the attaching bolt holes - they do crack; how do I know this!!

Roger

Hi, when you come to put the whole lot back together again make sure you put a plates on the bolts holding the brackets to the chassis between the chassis and the two nuts, this will help spread the load, the alternative is the nuts being pulled through the chassis and a large bill to get it fixed, if you think it wont happen I can send you some pics, and there isn't a bit of rust in sight! I am sure CTM supply the plates, Andrew

Hello again, there are tubes, however in my case they didn't save the chassis, the chassis was about 10 years old, as you can see from the photographs, only surface rust, certainly no serious rusting, I think I ran over a pothole but what I can say is the car is not driven hard and is well looked after, I run on wires as well so thought they would absorb some of the shock. There were ordinary washers under the nuts and the diameter of the washers was the same as the weld on the tubes, so any force would be on the transition between weld and metal, I am not an expert but suspect it must have weakened the steel plate, hence the damage. It was fixed, at a huge cost, and I now have plates to spread the load, front as well!

Thanks for the advice Andrew. Have checked carefully around the area where the brackets are bolted and all looks really solid...including the brackets.

It's a bit worrying if that happened just with surface rust.....will consider strengthening with plates

Cheers, Nick

Neil

Yes, I'm sure you are right but I would have struggled to remove the old rubber bushes with the arms in situ. Real struggle to remove the old inserts and bushes and had to set fire to them and then carefully drill the rubber away - all with the arms off

All cleaned up now and ready to re assemble

Regards, Nick