Rear brake parts - lubrication

I'm about to build up a pair of back plates for my TR6 with all new/NOS parts. The brake adjusters are NOS and will need new lubrication adding. My question is, what lubricant should I use on the adjuster, and any other bits of the back plate set up which require lubrication? I know you need to be careful when using lubricants on brake parts!

The handbrake sliders will soon scrape paint off and rust up if left unprotected. I use a mix of waxoyl wax, coppaslip and molygrease. Also on the adjuster thread.

It may melt a bit with braking heat but has never contaminated the linings. It attracts dirt too, so find another answer if squeaky clean is your aim.

Peter

The wheel cylinder slides to and fro on the back plate when the handbrake is applied. If the assembly seizes the hand brake wont work correctly.

Even thick paint can make them stick so work them to and fro vigorously when fitting to ensure thay slide when the handbrake is engaged, and free off when released.

Its these bits that sieze, so must be fitted correctly and allow the cylinder to slide:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-WHEEL-CYLINDER-FITTING-KIT-FOR-TRIUMPH-TR3-TR6-SP2862-/331098581171

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Coppaslip (or equivalent).

Contact points of wheel cylinder on backplate.

Sliders.

Handbrake pivot.

Adjuster and adjuster 'pistons' (proper name is 'tappet' according to Rimmers catlg but that doesn't seem right either).

Each end of brake shoe where it contacts wheel cyl and tappet.

Contact points of brake shoe and back plate.

Before you start you might want to consider extending the handbrake levers by an inch.

Cover brake shoe lining with masking tape then remove when all in place - keeps muck off them while your wrestling with the springs.

Jerry

Cover brake shoe lining with masking tape then remove when all in place - keeps muck off them while your wrestling with the springs.

Jerry

ooh, that's a good tip !