Fitting a GPS tracker

Wow that's cheap!

Can't imagine it's that difficult to wire in, although aerial location for GPRS and GPS could be a challenge.

I would wonder how discretely it can be fitted, the first thing any competent classic car thief is going to do is search for a tracking device and unlike modern vehicles there few places you can hide things on a TR

Quite easy to find hiding places for this device. It will text you, assuming the phone antenna lead isn't cut first, if the car moves outside of a 100m "fence" area or if the power is cut to it. The big downside to this unit is that you have to turn it off with it's external switch before you disconnect the car battery when doing any work on the car else it sends texts until the sim credit runs out. The various commands you can send it by text don't include "ignore battery off".

To get to the unit's own power switch, you have to make it fairly accessible, making location a more limited choice.

There is an iphone app for the controller to save sending cumbersome texts to set/unset etc.

Edited by TR Mitch

Have now got my "expensive" Tracker from RBS I have done some tests with my stanav - using an external GPS antenna, & there are two places on a TR3 which will work just fine - Under the internal fuel tank cover (seat back) placing it as far forward as possible on the top - near horizontal surface, & under the rear of the geabox cover carpet.

Both positions gave little degredation to the GPS signal strengths. I will probably use the fuel tank cover for mine.

By the way Amazon are also selling a cheaper tracker which ironicaly looks identical to the one I have just payed £87 for :o( Only it does not come with a 12V to 5V converter which mine does.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-Global-Tracker-GPRS-connection/dp/B003XDQUQE/ref=pd_luc_mrairec_01_04_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bob.

• 1 month later...