Moss: Sidescreen LED Brake Lights

Has anyone fitted this kit ? Seems a little expensive to me. Pity they could not have designed it to look like the originals with the chrome base or I would have possibly considered them if it was much brighter.

Thoughts

John

If I had one of these cars I'd put a "brake" bulb in the rear-light and arrange for the same bulb to run on reduced voltage so as to give the tail-lights.

This is exactly what happens on a 2009 Vauxhall Corsa.

Only wants a resistor and a relay. Could be removed/fitted in minutes.

RE the suggestion above regarding resistors to use the corner lights as tail lights.

I have done this on my TR3 but used a relay (well 2 relays actualy), & the standard stop/tail bulbs in all 3 places - standard for TR2, TR3.

The 6W fillaments are on when "side lights" are switched on - giving side lights, & number plate light, & a central red light as well - standard TR2/TR3 setup.

The 21W fillaments work as follows:

When braking, the centre lamp is a stop lamp, the edge lamps are also stop lamps, unless you are indicating, in which case one will be a stop lamp, & the other will be flashing.

When not braking, all lamps are off, unless you indicate, then one or the other edge lamps will flash.

This was the exact setup I found on my 1963 Morris 1000, & in fact I am using the dual relay from that very car.

I think this adds a safety factor to the original single stop lamp setup.

Bob.

If we are talking TR2, TR3 with the central red lens stop lamp, then yes - the centre lamp is dual fillament to provide number plate illumination & tail lamp (6W), & stop lamp (21W)

the edge lamps are dual to provide tail lamps (6W), & indicators (21W)

If we are talking TR3A, then centre lamp is chrome, & has only a single fillament at 6W for number plate, the edge lamps are dual for tail lamps (6W), & stop lamps (21W)

the round lamps half way towards the edge are single fillament for indicators (21W)

Yes, but why would you when the standard setup uses a dual fillament bulb?

Anyway, you would not need a relay, a simple diode would do to block the brake light voltage from going to the front sidelights.

The resistor would need to be around 4 ohms at 12 watts rating (will get hot). see circuit below, but - again why on earth would you need to do this ?