Interesting sidecreen........

Hi Folks,

Have a look at the photo below (click on it to see the detail) and although the vent flap is opening the wrong way (???), it seems the sidescreen has an additional piece of material which when the door is closed would push up underneath the stanchion and provide a weather seal ( :D:D ) - has anyone seen this before on sidescreens?

Might be worth thinking about rather than having to shove chamois leathers in the gaps either side - you'll probably still need to do that anyway, but maybe smaller pieces!

530504_10201560859958553_248719248_n.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

Properly made sidescreens should have that lip anyway Andrew. Looks as if the vent flap has started to break the hinge away, common problem.

Stuart.

Concur with Stuart front edge of the sidescreen should have a material "flange" that when shut sits neatly between the windscreen tenon plate and stancheon and unless you are driving very fast stops the sidescreen flapping about! Assuming all adjusted correctly.

Just visible in this photo of an original sidescreen.

IMAG1371_zpsb882ac9d.jpg

Just looked at my NOS Dzus TR3A sliding window with fixed bottom and NOS Wedge TR3 sliding window with flapping bottom sidescreens, plus brother has NOS TR2 fixed window with zip.

All have the sewn front edge that goes into the vertical groove of the screen/stanchion.

Peter W

Don,

I thought I saw a material protrusion in the original photo of about 1 - 2", but since you enlarged and brightened it it seems to be part of the driver's seat and a trick of the light - unless it is a protrusion and my eyes are playing up??

Iain,

Your photo is the same as my recovered original frames, thanks.

Peter,

It's not the leading edge that tucks into the upper stanchion I'm referring to, but the bottom left hand corner of the sidescreen, see attached photo.

1546233_10201569405332182_791823516_n.jp

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Just a note about the forward most point of the sidescreen. When i had these recovered my Motor Trimmer had little or no item to refer to and made that corner a little too rounded so that when the door is closed there is a small gap at the bottom of the staunchen. A more pointed end would be better.

Graham

Interesting.

If there is an extension it looks a bit like the front top edge of the lower triangular flapping frame sticking though the trimming cover. On my manky old TR2 (KVY92) the inner lower frames migrated through the trim, in precisely that fashion, but I do not recall such a large protrusion at the front. Perhaps a mod to keep the sidescreens in place when the press drove the cars.

Alternatively a trick of the light and an illusion caused by the white piping on the seat.

Cheers

Peter W

PS As an aside - MG cars had a press demonstrator MGF with an extra wide and deeper front spoiler fitted underneath out of view - and what did the press praise the car for - high speed stability. Production cars did not get this mod as it was too easy to wipe it off on speed humps etc. We (BMH) retrimmed the car in leather at 12 months old and it was sold, along with 25 other demonstrators and specials at a dealer auction at Gaydon, an average price return of over 100% of new car cost was realised. That was a revelation for anything from Rover Group at the time.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT