Quick Dash and Instruments Refurb

Interesting, I've tried Danish oil on the test piece and it's looking quite good.

I have two oak veneer doors on the house, which are Danish oiled and look great.

They do need bi-annual oiling, but then they are exposed to the weather, so the dash should be fine?

Boldly go where no dash has gone before.

If doesn't work, I'll willingly swap your warped dash for the highly-prized fumes in my cabin.

To be fair, I think the question is probably over the resilience of the adhesive in the iron-on veneer. The rice-pudding effect on my dash (skillfully applied with a used toothbrush by the PO) is due for renewal and I'm speculating that going down the Gorilla Glue route with new veneer, to prevent lifting, may be worth a try.

No harm in honourable failure.

Paul

Hmmm, the condensation point may be correct.

However I am committed now!

My experiences with Danish Oil have all been good, let's see how this one turns out......

Here it is back in the car Paul.

Now for a 'Quick Dash and Instruments refurb' I am well chuffed with the result, and the look of the 'Oiled Teak'

and everything works, well after i had the dash out and back in a couple of times !

Thanks guys

I am pleased with the result.

Cutting out the Instrument holes was far easier than i thought it would be.

I bought two types of knives for the job, a 'micro scalpel' with blades about 3mm long and extremely sharp, and £3 'snap off blade' general purpose jobbie.

the £3 one did the job a treat, with the 'micro scalpels' only used for a tiny bit of trimming.

my technique was to trim coarsely from the BACK of the panel, then turn it over for fine trimming from the front.

I then used a Dremmel with sanding flap-wheel/sanding disk/stone to sand as necessary.

Wooden block to sand the edges.

For the Scrw holes I drilled a pilot from the back of the panel, then used a Dremel with a rounded cone to make the countersink, this worked beautifully.

I did not renew the 'brown Paint' on the back and edges and given more time i would do this, for a fully professional finish.

One lesson, the iron on veneer does need to be pretty hot to work !, i had to go back over a few areas and was worried about overheating, particularly as for one area i had already applied Danish Oil. But all was fine, i used an old Pillow Case under the Iron and weighted the reheated areas with a block of wood and motorcycle battery.

so that's the job done...... rear hubs and drive shafts next ( when it warms up !)

Steve

PS, i only used half of the veneer that i bought so if anyone wants the second half its available!

Edited by SDerbyshire

It looks very good Steve & just what I need to do on my 4a

Did you cut the glovebox hole in the veneer before or after gluing as that is what I thought would be the most tricky as you need to keep the piece to do the lid to get the grain to match.

Dave

Thanks Paul and Dave

I carefully secured the glove box lid in the correct location, ie centred in the hole with the hinge recesses lined up, and gaffa taped it in place from behind ( being careful to avoid creases in the tape.....)

then ironed on the veneer and using the 'snap off' knife carefully cut the door free from the back of the panel on a flat surface.

It was pretty straight forward.

I have spare veneer if you'd like it.

steve

Thanks for the offer Steve but I should have a piece of walnut veneer up in the loft.

If I can find it :unsure:

I hope mine looks as good as yours. I was also going to use danish oil. I've used it on all sorts of things inside & out with good results. I did think of using SP Resins Ultravar which I have used on wooden dinghys but it would take quite a bit of work on a dashboard I think

Dave

Hi Fellow menbers

Tha weather is "also" terrible down here :( so plan to do it.

Come across these magical termo glue veneer for €20, it's just a matter of iron it :huh:

Any Members experience ?

Thank youpost-9419-0-01874500-1389534694_thumb.jpgpost-9419-0-52584700-1389534703_thumb.jpg

post-9419-0-01874500-1389534694_thumb.jpg

post-9419-0-52584700-1389534703_thumb.jpg

Hi tr6tuga, not sure of your name!

I've not seen that product, but my veneer was iron on and went well.

I bought from 'veneers online' who had been recommended, paid £30 for enough veneer for two dashes.

I suggest you try a test on a spare bit of wood!

Steve

Good luck Jose!

We share sailing as an interest, and I'm toying with the idea of sailing down to the med this year, if I do will stop off in Porto to check out your dash!

Steve

This is my attempt at reveneering my dash used burr walnut glued with strong contact adhesive , then put in a press, trimmed with new Stanley blades , sanded , several coats of boat varnish.

Very pleased but think it is to dark for my liking.

So just purchased a piece of oak veneer nice grain

Here we go again

Going to take it to a local joinery shop and put it through a thicknesser to remove old veneer.