The car came with a hotch potch of radial and cross ply tyres 1 of which I believe was original ( very perished and a hole in it). My intention is to temporarily fit new tyres to the original rims (after I've de-rusted and sprayed them signal red the same as the car).

I've done 1 and it's come out quite good despite some heavy rusting. I dip them to get rid of the old paint and rust. A fairly long process but very effective.

My question is :- What size 15" radial should I fit and would the same tyre be ok if I decided to buy a set of wires and have them swapped over.

Bob

Wires or steel?

For wires and if they are that bad, replace with something decent for safety and surety

On the Heritage Certificate I got for my 67' TR5 it says mine was fitted with 185 tyres but I can't remember the profile but I think it should be 185/70. I am sure that 165/80 was probably used more though.

Cheers John

Edited by John390

Conrad is right, the narrower 165 tyres look great. XAS are the most expensive but I went for 5.5 inch Minilites with 165/80 Vredestein classics. This is copied from my post on the What tyres on 5.5 Minilites? thread.

Here are some comparisons for anyone else thinking about a swap. The old wheels were 6" Minators with 195/65s.

minf1.jpg

Old

minif1.jpg

New

tyres_side2.jpg

Side by side

tyres_side.jpg

Side by side

front_ot.jpg

Old

front_nt.jpg

New

Since changing, the feel of the car is completely different, the steering extremely responsive compared to the tramlining of the 195/65 tyres, the chassis doesn't creak and groan it's way round corners any more.

TR250s came with 185/80 tyres. These with the 3.7:1 diff gave about the same overall speed ratio as the 165/80s with the 3.45:1 ratio.

I've got one of the last sets of the 185/80 Michelin XAS on my concours car. They did service on the car before it was made virtually undriveable due to its makeover and found the performance in another league entirely.

I've thought about using the 165 XAS on my driver ( now with 195/65 Michelin Pilots ) but the wheels are 6" - too wide.

• 2 weeks later...