Does anyone use a fuel stabiliser?

There are some interesting comments on the TR2/3 forum as a result of Frank's wonderful last drive of the year film.

Should you drain your fuel tank or not when laying up for winter? The only thing I've ever done with my cars is to ensure that I put a couple of 5litre containers of fresh petrol in just prior to the Spring start up - and never had any problems.

However, I've been looking at the various fuel stabiliser products sold by Frost, Amazon and I think even Moss sell a version of it.

Does anyone have any experience of these products?

Regards

Peter

Contact the fuel company.

On a boatie forum everybody was describing what they did with their old fuel, apparently they value their lawn mowers less than their outboards.

I contacted Shell, who reckoned in a sealed tank my fuel should be OK for a year. (Usual disclaimers about various possibilities.)

Our pump fuel will have different additives to Europe because of the different temperatures suspect your fuel will last longer.

Biggest problem is the ethanol in the overwintering fuel absorbing water from the atmosphere, becoming saturated, and dropping out of solution . . . . .

Then you have water sloshing round in the bottom of the tank, with all the hassles that produces.

Been there, done that, bored with removing tanks.

Cheers

Alec

Roger,

You're mean.

Badfrog

PS: When I went to San Francisco, the fuel sat in the tank for 26 months. Started upon severe threatening.

Edited by Badfrog

Brian,

Your "Snake Oil " comment is based on actual practical experience? If not probably better to test before making uninformed comments.

I have used it and find there to be a great benefit, I use it on my boat fuel tank and my engine has been ultra reliable after winter layup. I do not relish having a £10k engine screwed up so I use fogging oil through the bores and carbs and fuel stabiliser in the tank.

I have just started both my 4 stroke gensets for my motorhomes and they have been stored unrun for at least 4 years. Started and run as they should with no issues.

I use Quicksilver fuel stabilser and it has been fine with no issues of gumming up. Ther fogging oil puts a mist spray of oil throughout the whole system.

I do however avoid storage of half full tanks and put the exact recommended amount and conceed that the lack of air may be the saving factor.

Rod: Observe the question mark "Snake-oil?".

Not a comment or opinion (informed or otherwise) - merely an initial scepticism as with all such products.

I wouldn't consider adding anything to my fuel or oil without sound engineering proof that it would not cause harm, let alone do what it is claimed to do.

I assume that's why Peter asked the question in the first place.

Pardon my flippancy - I can understand why so many are deserting the Forum despite its undoubted usefulness.