Thoroughbreds Rule change - Good for TR 4 pots.

Hi all,

if you race a TR 4 pot, you might like to know I proposed (for Class C) that TR 4 pots be allowed to run in the class at the commonly avalible 89mm bore size instead of being hobbled by the class std +60.

This was passed, so for anyone with an 89mm bore engine, you can now come out to play in Class C. If car has a serious engine and light it would be fairly competitive. :D

Jelly

You had no chance because your rear shock absorber mounting broke!

Your time in 1.24 was v competitive

Oh and you had a close encounter of the yellow TR3 kind

And while we are on the subject How do you get away without a crankshaft breather?

You had no chance because your rear shock absorber mounting broke!

Your time in 1.24 was v competitive

Oh and you had a close encounter of the yellow TR3 kind

And while we are on the subject How do you get away without a crankshaft breather?

I forgot about the shock absorber. All back again and more solid than before.

Crankshaft breather?

You mean venting the block?

I maintain an almost stock like closed system. So I don't need a tank.

Edited by MadMarx

Interesting the stock block has a large block vent and if not, then pressure builds up and blows oil out of everything - specially the crank seal

But I know that you sell crankshaft lip seals so they obviously sort that problem for you.

My lower block vent is closed, also the fuel pump hole.

I never had luck with opening them and resulted in bad leaking all over the place.

I ONLY use to valve cover vent. I opened it up to 15 mm and use a 19mm hose.

It is TR4a style.

Edited by MadMarx

John think you have been sold a pup.

89mm has been allowed for 4 cyl in class C for over 20 years.

ROY

That's why I had no chance...I'm on 88mm.

If that was no chance Criss [MAD]then i would like that every time :rolleyes:

John think you have been sold a pup.

89mm has been allowed for 4 cyl in class C for over 20 years.

ROY

If that was no chance Criss [MAD]then i would like that every time :rolleyes:

Hi Roy, I did wonder that. But basically I think they just turned a blinds eye. By 4 was 92mm and even though very fast would not bet as quick as a similarly modded TR6 so basically they let it slide. if you read the rules C for non MGB's is +60 (i.e. what I have in the 6).

It is an MG series sor basically they will always have the rules in their favour - such is life.... They are allowing ("Soft tune") 3.9 litre V8 in C next year. Bring it on I say. I'll have a screen on the 6 for next year.

Chris - as you were from a Euro race series that was close to TSCC but not the same they just pop you into the closest class for one race. TSCC stipulated that you have to have a Screen on 4/5/6 in Class C from a few years back, so techinally you would have been in D (but that would just be daft based on the level of the other bits of the car).

I woul need to have a completely new cage in my 4 and 89 liners (not an issue as being rebuilt at present), but new cage is BIG outlay so will not be happeing for me any time soon.

I my car is out next year it will be in Invitation class or just for the road / popping to the shops.

Chris - as you were from a Euro race series that was close to TSCC but not the same they just pop you into the closest class for one race. TSCC stipulated that you have to have a Screen on 4/5/6 in Class C from a few years back, so techinally you would have been in D (but that would just be daft based on the level of the other bits of the car)..

I entered only to find out how I compete with them and I must say that I'm not fast enough (or my car is not fast enough).

They are very fast and more modified than our cars are. It was okay but nothing I would like to do again.

Edited by MadMarx

Christian,

Where does your upper 19 mm hose go from the rocker cover?

How do you explain that lower openings were causing leaks?

Badfrog

Hi,

the 19mm hose is going to a vent valve, similar to the TR4a vent version.

I have no real explanation WHY it does this on my car. I assume some inflate by instationary flow inside of the block (pistons moving up and down).

When I started racing I had only the vent on the valve cover and the engine was almost seal.

Then few years later I did what all drivers did, vented the engine from the fuel pump opening too.

That was the moment my engine leaked....leaked so badly that I invented the split seal.

During the work on the split seal I went back to the valve cover "only" version and the leaks got small again but the seal was then invented, installed and the leaks were history.

Chers

Chris

Edited by MadMarx

Jon

Why would you have to have a new roll cage in the TR4? Is it because your existing cage doesn't fit inside a windscreen/hardtop as required by T/breds for Class C?

Dave McD

Yep - why I super p&ssed off when the daft rule came in. At least I had the option to pop a screen and or a roof on the 6 and built for it. 4 was never intended to have a roof (as I like racing without one).