Information required for suitable ignition system

I am posting this on behalf of my father who has a TR6, he is pondering fitting an electronic ignition conversion kit to fit a 6 cylinder lucas 22D6, 25D6 and is wanting to know if anyone has any advice or help on how to do it, and is is easy to fit yourself?

Sorry for my ignorance if anything is incorrectly written, i'm just the messenger :rolleyes:

Thanking you all in advance

I've had a Piranah system fitted for 20 years and no problems. They've gone out of business.

If I were fitting it now I'd go for something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electronic-Ignition-Conversion-Kit-to-fit-6cyl-Lucas-22D6-25D6-/121037385990?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ATR+6&hash=item1c2e63f106 which fits inside the dizzy.

I've had a Piranah system fitted for 20 years and no problems. They've gone out of business.

If I were fitting it now I'd go for something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electronic-Ignition-Conversion-Kit-to-fit-6cyl-Lucas-22D6-25D6-/121037385990?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ATR+6&hash=item1c2e63f106 which fits inside the dizzy.

Andy,

I have one of the Piranah systems of a similar vintage and works great - although I have all the bits for a Megajolt system now ready for installation. They are still manufactured but by Newtronic.

Regards

Ade

Edited by Ade_TR6

Keep it simple.

The original points work OK but require occassional adjustment and replacement - but they do work.

The above module is the next simplest (possibly even more so). Requires less adjusment if any and will only need replacing if it fails - this becomes obvious.

If the above looks too cheap then something very very similar can be bought at apprx £80 - do the sums.

A spare is not expensive to carry. Otherwise carry a spare set of points.

Roger

Nicola, welcome!

Ask your father why he wants to change. The points work well for me, just need to keep the gap set and the cam slightly greased. If the plastic cam follower runs dry the wear can be rapid (eg the gap can close up in 100 miles or so ). Could it be that he has fitted a new coil that is rubbish? ( a lot around apparently).

Peter

Hi Nicola,

I fitted a powerspark unit from simonbbc 2 years ago. Its dead easy to fit - just like changing the points - and have had no problems at all. I kept the points and condenser in the boot - just in case.

Regards,

Vince.

Suggest you look at the Pertronix system wqhich fits insdie the dsitributor cap, looks sompletely original and gives you reliable starting- cost around £95 odd.

Points as et all are fine if you only use your vehicle in dry summers but the cannot negate distributor shaft wear and tend to let you down when it's dark & damp; a case of original is NOT necessarily the best.

Consider that points & condenser were dicontinued because electronic systems were more reliable

Thank you for all your help, I've printed the advice off for my Dad to have a read through. He asked me to ask if anyone has a wiring diagram that they could let me have a copy of or if you know of a link to one? He ideally would like to have a look at the wiring diagram before he makes the jump into buying one. Think he is fed up of the points, all a bit over my head I'm afraid, Dad may well as be speaking a foreign language ha ha! Although his TR6 is beautiful and looks like Nialls only much nicer he he ;)

Nicola,

Does Dad need a complete wiring diagram,or the instructions to fit an electronic system?

Here's the first page of the latter for a "Newtronic" system that uses an optical trigger, although one thta sued a magnetic or other trigger would be similar. Just ask - send me a PM or 'personal messge and I'll send you, or Dad copies of all four instruction pages.

John

post-535-0-73522300-1384464509_thumb.jpg

post-535-0-73522300-1384464509_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...