I replaced the heater valve on my car and noticed that the old unit could be taken apart by drilling out the pop rivet and giving the unit 1/4 turn. This is what I found on the inside of that valve. Note the only thing holding the unit together internally is a very small clip, if that fails the unit will stop working and probably leak coolant fluid. Such a small part could cause you a lot of grief

post-11842-0-63306600-1383685335_thumb.jpg

post-11842-0-27177800-1383685343_thumb.jpg

post-11842-0-79849500-1383685350_thumb.jpg

post-11842-0-63306600-1383685335_thumb.jpg

post-11842-0-27177800-1383685343_thumb.jpg

post-11842-0-79849500-1383685350_thumb.jpg

I replaced the heater valve on my car and noticed that the old unit could be taken apart by drilling out the pop rivet and giving the unit 1/4 turn. This is what I found on the inside of that valve. Note the only thing holding the unit together internally is a very small clip, if that fails the unit will stop working and probably leak coolant fluid. Such a small part could cause you a lot of grief

Bob, that style of heater valve has several failure modes and it is guaranteed to fail eventually. Since you are in the US take a look at the Autozone part number 74648, the Everco/Heater Control Valve $22.99. This is a drop in replacement for the original, looks good and just needs a minor reversible mod to the operating cable to match the lever on the valve. This is a simple all metal valve.

Photobucket is down at the moment so I cant post a picture but Bob Danielson has this well documented:

http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/HeaterValve.htm

Stan

Stan

I too have used the Everco/Heater Control Valve on my 4A, operates very well compared to the original.

However it is about $45 here in Canada. Typical :(

Cheers

Graeme

Bob, that style of heater valve has several failure modes and it is guaranteed to fail eventually. Since you are in the US take a look at the Autozone part number 74648, the Everco/Heater Control Valve $22.99. This is a drop in replacement for the original, looks good and just needs a minor reversible mod to the operating cable to match the lever on the valve. This is a simple all metal valve.

Photobucket is down at the moment so I cant post a picture but Bob Danielson has this well documented:

http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/HeaterValve.htm

Stan

Thanks for the info, next time I change that valve out I will use this part instead

Bob I would change the valve ASAP for the Everco one as it can be very spectacularly messy when the originals blow! Usually right when you dont want it to happen. I have the Everco one on my 4a and its excellent and much more controllable and smoother in operation than the originals.

Stuart.

• 4 weeks later...

The only issue is that it is not a direct replacement as it needs the control cable being made to fit the control lever by forming an 'eye' to slip over the lever peg, and the inclusion of a water hose adaptor from its 5/8" outlet down to the TR 1/2" standard hose size. Neither are difficult but need to be considered if you think you will buy it on Saturday morning with the expectation of sinking a pint at lunchtime.

Peter W

The only issue is that it is not a direct replacement as it needs the control cable being made to fit the control lever by forming an 'eye' to slip over the lever peg, and the inclusion of a water hose adaptor from its 5/8" outlet down to the TR 1/2" standard hose size. Neither are difficult but need to be considered if you think you will buy it on Saturday morning with the expectation of sinking a pint at lunchtime.

Peter W

I soldered a ring terminal on the end of the heater cable and did not have to modify/adapt any hoses. if I had a pub I would be downing that pint, if they had a pint.

DSC_0002-1.jpg

I used a pair of long nose Mole grips to form a ring on the end of the cable, fit over the stud and then a small bit of washer tubing and a circular spring clip suffices as the cable cant slide up anyway. The Hose end of the valve is nicely swaged so good quality heater hose will go over it even though its ID is slightly smaller.

Stuart.

• 3 weeks later...

Correct. At least the one I used is like that. It's straight so you need an adaptor int the head and a right angle hose from there to the valve. The valve connections are different sizes but the hose will fit with a bit of coaxing over the swages in the valve.