I Got A Wedge Today

Hi All,

I just collected a 1980 TR7 convertible today, fitted with a Sprint engine. Not expensive, drive home was a riot and it's going to be fun improving it over the coming months. With the Sprint engine, all the action is above 4,000rpm but even in the rain, coming down the A5 was a hoot this afternoon. It's a bit scruffy but it seems to go well enough.

Can't wait to go in the garage and get hands on it. I'm not used to the wedge, having a TR6 and GT6, and the 7 Sprint feels as quick off the line as my 6. It's going to be a fascinating learning experience.

Nigel

post-12442-0-00123000-1381606397_thumb.jpg

post-12442-0-77807800-1381606412_thumb.jpg

post-12442-0-00123000-1381606397_thumb.jpg

post-12442-0-77807800-1381606412_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nigel Triumph

Hi Nigel

welcome to the wedge club! There are fewer decent 7's around than some of the other TR models, they are getting harder to find! Is it an original car or a conversion?

Cheers

Ian

PS belated welcome to the club although I know you have been a member for a few years now.

Hi Nigel,

Well done on your wedge ownership, I think you do your car a disservice describing it as scruffy as it looks pretty good to me. The nice TR alloys set it off well. I echo Alec's point on upgrading the brakes. Even the standard 2 litre braking was challenging back in the day.

I hope that you have plenty of fun together. Will you take it to Harrogate?

ATB

Jo

I had two dolomite Sprints in the past and I too would be very surprised if your TR7 Sprint wouldn't be quicker than a TR6...

incidentally..he said selfishly..I am selling my Just found at the Back of the Loft NOS Rocker cover at the mo...Look better than that blue one!

Sales-pitch over...I apologise in advance

Cheers

Brian (also recent wedge owner TR7 V8 TR8 lookalike)

Hi All,

Thank you the words of welcome and kind words about my new wedge. I described it as scruffy because it's been resprayed to a rather average standard (though it was white from new) and the paint is not perfect, with a few stone ships turning to star crazed marks, and a couple of places where it's been attacked by brake fluid or similar. Inside the seat covers have torn and all needs a good clean. The mohair hood is nice but needs cleaning and waterproofing. Its a 5 yard car. The good news is that the bodyshell is pretty much rot free and all major mechanicals seem strong.

I wish it was an original Sprint but it's not. There were only 62 pre-production cars made with the Sprint engine and just 20 known to survive now. As far as I know the factory only ever built Sprints as fixed head cars. I consider myself lucky and privileged to have driven Chris Turner's immaculate, factory fresh Sprint.

As for performance vs a 6, I have a 150bhp CP-series 6 and have recently overhauled and set up the injection system so it seems to be running perfectly and should give a fair performance comparison. The two cars feel about the same in terms of acceleration off the line. 0 - 60 times for the 6 are usually quoted at between 8.2 and 8.5 seconds. The only figure I could ever find for the 7 Sprint gave 0 - 60 at 8.5 seconds, comparing to around 10 seconds for the Dolly Sprint saloon if memory serves. So perhaps they are similar in at least acceleration. Power to weight ratio is probably similar.

I don't like that blue cam cover either. Many thanks to Brian for the offer of your NOS item but I feel a rare original like that should be saved for a top class rebuild. My 7 is going to be a rolling improvement project, never a show car. I will try repainting the existing cover but really do appreciate your offer. First things first, the fuel gauge doesn't work and fuel warning light is permanently on, so they are top of the list of jobs.

Nigel

I recall a Classic car magazine edition about 3 years ago...can't remember which one...age...beer....two stroke mototcycles..that kind of thing where they road tested all the different Triumph engines and all were supposedly std and then they dynoed them afterwards..Stag made around 125 bhp as I recall TR6 (supposed to be a 150) made around the same but the Sprint chimed in at just over 140..they were surprised too... but like mine it always felt alot stronger than a 127bhp car. Mind you my last car was a Ford Racing Puma (155bhp) and my latest a V8 TR7 ( I have a dyno sheet for it 138 at the wheels) The Puma would have absolutely no chance keeping up with this car...mind you on the bends that would be a VERY different story.

Don't dismiss rocker cover though...only want £50 and it would look very nice on your car!

Triumph quoted power figures were (I think):

- TR6 CP-series: 150bhp (though 135 is probably more realistic).

- Dolly Sprint: 128bhp.

- TR7 Sprint factory version: 135bhp (extra power due to superior exhaust manifold).

TR6 kerb weight is 1,130Kg and TR7 Sprint 1,050Kg, so the 7 Sprint may just have the edge on power to weight ratio but not by much. My 6 will be having a rolling road session in a couple of weeks so then I will know if it's really making as much power as it should.

There may be some other explanations why my impression is there's little to choose between performance ofthe 6 and 7 Sprint. Although it seems to run well, the 7 needs a tune up and perhaps will feel quicker after that. The speedo in the 7 under-reads by about 5mph at 60 so that could make it feel slower than it is. Also my 6 is fitted with electronic ignition, K&N air filter and a Phoenix 6-3-1 exhaust so may produce a few more horses than Triumph intended.

Oh, and I didn't reply to Jo's question about Harrogate. My TR6 and GT6 have both been to past IWE's, so it's a definite YES, I plan to bring the 7 Sprint to Harrogate for IWE 2014.

Nigel