Aluminium radiator

Hi Robin

It came without the fan assembly. It is from my old radiator, an was on the car when I bougt it. As far as I know it is from a VW Golf.

I made a new bracket to mount it on the aluminium radiator and it is fastened in place with rivets.

The aluminium radiator is from TRshop, London. It has a 22mm x 1,5 threaded boss at the bottom for the thermo-switch to the fan-relay and a drain-plug.

Very easy and a perfect fit.

Regards

Tage

post-5346-0-79324900-1399903252_thumb.jpg

Edited by 15eren

It will likely be from Serck then. I have one in my 4A and it's fine, although I had to have Serck replace it a few times because of a leak in the core. I couldn't fault the Serck customer service, they were as mystified as me as to the cause of the problem. Two years on it's still OK.

A word of advise, make sure the cooler is grounded to the chassis and all of your systems are well earthed, also make sure you keep the coolant levels maintained, use demineralised or deionised water only!! Aluminium coolers are not a forgiving as copper, Some aluminium cooler companies recommend checking for stray currents after they have been installed!!

A word of advise, use demineralised or deionised water only!! Aluminium coolers are not a forgiving as copper, Some aluminium cooler companies recommend checking for stray currents after they have been installed!!

Hi, how about antifreeze? My cars are in a garage which can be subzero in winter...

Nice weather so I went to a Classic car event south of Gothenburg, 13000 visitors in one day! Stayed overnight at a really nice B&B. The trip became 435 miles, final 125 in heavy rains which showed that I have a leak where brake servo goes through body panel, so I got wet feet in sharp right hand turns. But this should be about Aluminium radiator and temperature was well over 20 deg C, long queue to enter the event, a bit to high tick-over, and the electric fan ran quite a lot so I should say that the Aluminium rad is no better than a standard one (and why should it be, copper/brass is a very good heat conductor)

http://www.classicmotor.se/artiklar/artiklar/20140518/tjoloholm-classic-motor-publikrekord/

http://ijonsson.se/triumph/photo_diary.php?day=events&folder=events&id=IMG_4177

• 2 years later...

0.9 bar is as near as damn it 13 psi so that should do OK. It would be nice to know what the cap is from so you can get a spare for the future.

I have just searched the Winner site and the Triumph and MG radiators have no stock - No doubt the next batch will be along soon. Their ebay shop shews stock though.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Winner-racing/TRIUMPH-/_i.html?_fsub=2814916010&_sid=670583010&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Cheers

Peter W

PS The Sidescreen TR radiators are quoted as having a 56 mm core, which is the same size quoted for TR5/6. That core is described as 56m twin core. My thoughts here are that it may be a reduced cooling compared to the original triple core of a sidescreen OE radiator. They do offer a triple core that is 90mm for MGB V8 though....enjoy.

UPDATE - slightly off topic though-

The TR2/3 item I bought from Winner had water tubes that are smaller diameter than orig, so the hoses will not seal and the bottom tank is too wide to fit the two chassis it was tried in, unless you cut/ground the edge off the chassis brackets.

Getting a 4psi radiator cap of that small design I was not able to do.

It was returned for full refund.

Peter W