Carbon fibre wings

I'd be interested to hear views people have of carbon fibre wings that are now available. I'm rebuilding my TR4A and have been offered these instead of steel ones.

The advantages seem to be that they're cheaper, they're more readily available and (apparently) they are a much better fit than the new steel ones. But I'm sure there are disadvatages too - what are they like in a crash, is paint adhesion ok, will they devalue the car?

The situation I'm in is that my existing front wings MAY be saveable, but my rear ones definately need replacing. I guess my options are new steel, second hand steel, or new carbon fibre.

Any views welcome!!

Hi

Depends on how you look at it. In my opinion non metal, non original wings will always devalue a TR unless its a lightweight competition car, and then there are eligibility issues to consider. There are even those who would suggest that alloy wings on a car would devalue it because they damage more easily. GRP and probably anything else will do similar (and both supposedly are a better fit than the repro steel ones available).

For my money original Stanpart wings are a must because the repro steel ones are so poor that the lack of fit is visible across a car park. Like all things, a really skilful Coachbuilder given as much time and money as he needs can make them fit, but the tightness of curvature is simply not there because the original panels were pressed on steel tooling (which allowed sharp curves to be turned) whereas all modern repro's are made on soft tooling of some sort where this is not possible to the same extent.

All that said, original wings in good condition are fairly sparsely available so the Kevlar panels are tempting Im sure. I have heard that the fit and price are good so although I haven't used them I'd say they have to be worth considering. I also understand that reproduction wings are being tooled again, so they might be worth waiting for although they will be soft tooled so the fit will be the issue.

You can obtain used / reworked original wings for the same sort of money as repro ones - I've gone down this route countless times and its worked for me. Otherwise I suggest you contact TR Enterprises as I am aware that they have tried some of the new repro's on a car up there which means that they may be able to supply you.

Regard

Tony

I guess if eventually all the wings were 'plastic' and then several years later, someone made a plastic boot, or even door skins.....do you still have a TR4 or a kit car. I also wonder what will happen to +ve earth cars using the frame to conduct DC? It probably wouldn't be a problem....or would it?

Hi JPD,

original StanPart wings are the Holy Grail of restoration projects but can be very expensive. Walter Petchy does some good stuff.

However you could sell your good and bad wings and buy better ones.

The chap on e-bay (the flyingenglishman) buys and sells wings and are pretty good. You would be looking at between £400 to 700 for each wing.

GRP wings can look OK but like most synthetic material paint has a problem hanging on if not done right.

Carbon fibre is a much better product than GRP. It goes on thinner and can take up shapes better. However you may have the same problems with the paint.

Carbon fibre on aircraft does get pulled off after a while.

Have you considered getting yours repaired, or repairing them yourself.

Roger

Hi,

I have several perfect fenders on some parts cars,not expensive but again,sending them over is gonna be big dollars.

Yves

I think all the arguments against glass fibre, carbon, plastic really come down to the old one.....

"...If it's got plastic on it, then it's a banger, and a detriment to the return on my investment..."

The basic reason why, for example, a couple of glass-fibreTR6 front wings sold on eBay recently for,

as I recall, £36.

Carbon fibre..? I've flown loads of different types of gliders that used carbon fibre. Certainly as of some years

ago it was used mostly in high-stress areas such as reinforcement for wing spars. That is, the end of a wing that

you slot into the fuselage, then from inside the cockpit, insert a huge bolt through both spars to lock the wings together.

Difficult to see how, on the mostly cosmetic nature of a TR's wings..., why would carbon really offer more than GRP.

Edited by amclpreston

Hi Andy,

Carbon Fibre can be laid down much thinner than GRP so keeping any edges/shapes etc,

It has a higher strength to weight ratio. But would be a pig to repair.

GRP is cheap and works well and 'easy' to repair.

Roger

I repaired the wings on mine. This looks good and feels right to me.

But it would look even better if I had fitted the doors first and repaired the wings to fit the doors.

This is one of the advantages of repairing wings, you have a little more freedom to get the door gaps just right.

Suppose you pay £400 for a really good wing that does not then fit on your car. It may have been a perfect fit on another car.

Thats what we are coping with on these cars.

Now you have to mess with your new wing.

I agree with most of the posts. Although carbon fibre might fit better and may be a bit cheaper, in the long run I think I would be disappointed. I'm not doing the restoration for 100% originaility, but this 'improvement' is going in the wrong direction.

I will try to repair my font wings, although the may be too far gone for my level of skill. The rears are way too far gone and definately need replaing.

I'll be scouring ebay and other second hand sources for good steel originals that I can use as replacements - along with rear inners, boot floor, top deck etc etc. The consequence of a car being sat around unloved for more than 30 years!!

Thanks for all your comments.

Jeff

Gaps on steel panels are easily sorted with a bit of lead ;)

Stuart.

Edited by stuart