TR7s at Stoneleigh

A few pictures for you from Stoneleigh 2005 HERE.

Two particularly interesting ones:

Chris Turner's 1 of 3 Coca-Cola/Levis special edition 1977 TR7 (look out for this at some of this years TRR events!) - have  you ever seen one?

cola_1.jpg

This is NOT a Grinnall, but does have a Ford Cosworth DOHC turbo motor fitted:

cossie_2.jpg

Malcolm.

Guest Kyle - Apex
Chris Turner's 1 of 3 Coca-Cola/Levis special edition 1977 TR7 (look out for this at some of this years TRR events!) - have  you ever seen one?

I have now! it looked so good! and so did TRisha ..... that Cosworth 7, was driving out of the shed as i got there but looked mad! and there was some crazy V8 with tailpipes out the middle of the bumper!

IMHO, The TR7 should be left as Harris Mann penned, apart from the relatively few original Grinnal conversions.  V8 engine transplants are fine, it's what the car always needed, but let's leave bodywork mods to the Pug and Corsa brigade.. you seldom see earlier TR's sporting heavily modified panels.. If we're not careful, butchered sevens will dilute the integrity of the marque....  Maxwell   :D

Yes, I'm - generally - with you on that, Maxwell. I'll overlook the odd set of MGF wheels, and a suitable front spoiler here and there ( he said, with a sheepish grin), but I don't really like to see total makeovers and 'foreign' (ie Cossie) engines. there just aren't that many good TR7s left IMHO.

Mike :)

I like the original look and have kept my own cars pretty much standard, I must admit I do like looking at some of the bodywork alterations and technical upgrades but tend to judge each one on its merits. I must say there are a lot of modified cars out there that are "better" than the original but Im a traditionalist so my own remain standard.
IMHO, The TR7 should be left as Harris Mann penned, apart from the relatively few original Grinnal conversions.  V8 engine transplants are fine, it's what the car always needed, but let's leave bodywork mods to the Pug and Corsa brigade..

I think V8 conversions are especially excusable as the TR8 was a production car.  We didn't get them (save a handfull of pre-production cars) in the UK but what cars they are  :laugh:

Original Grinnalls?  You are starting to sound like Steve Redway  :D  The Grinnall has its place but please lets not confuse it with any factory developments.  Perhaps a future development of the TR8 would have been like a 'full' Grinnall, but then perhaps not.....

Malcolm.

Quote: Not Pretty.

Neither were some of  the Crayford conversions, but they're still part of our 1970's heritage that I wouldn't like lost..

The important thing is, the conversion was undertaken when the car was a current model... [iMHO!]

What about the Savage Cortina?    Maxwell ???

Not just the Savage but the Superspeed conversions etc. However none of these were body conversions just engine & running gear swops. Last night was reading C&SC about the Jeff Uren conversions like the Savage & Commanche etc. Massive performance for relatively small money, like literally in Porsche league and all sold/maintained by Ford dealers.

As regards the Grinnals I'm not totally opposed, some aren't that tasteful but if the owners like that then fine.

Maxwell I have an original advert from C&SC at home for the Grinnals, which you might like to scan for KenTRead.

Some of the body kits on 7s are hideous though and I much prefer a "pure" Mann design.

However its a fine line on changes on a 7, mine has body coloured sills & spoiler which looks far better IMHO, but I know Maxwell for one isn't keen. It also has a Tan Mohair 'ood where do you draw the line?

In real terms I don't give a monkeys what people do with old cars provided  they restore and don't scrap them and if that means customising so what!

Jim

Jim strikes a note with 'scrap' or 'modified'.  At least the cars have been saved and are being enjoyed by their owners - questionable taste or otherwise.  My own 1976 Speke FHC is (ahem) just a little off-standard.  We have to keep the standard cars too and thankfully there seems to be a growing orginality fad with the TR7.

Think of the cars you would see at shows/meetings a few years ago.  All DHCs and many V8s.  In the last couple of years there's been more FHCs and original spec cars.

An example?  The TRDC stand at the Stoneleigh Triumph show is usually full of (very smart) modified V8 DHCs.  This year:  the coca-cola car, Jay's Speke FHC and a rather nice original fuel injected DHC.

I can see exactly where the V8 modified fans are coming from, but isn't it good to know the originality anoraks are interested in TR7s and 8s too  :;):

p.s. Maxwell - what's wrong with even more TR7 content on KenTRead??  If the TR2-6 owners are bothered about it they can always submit their own articles.....

Malcolm.

Malcolm,

Nice to meet you and your co-pilot on Sunday!

I agree with your sentiments on saving these cars whether they are standard or not, I may be a sort of purist but not to the extent of some who don't see the logic in bringing the car up to date. The subject of braking, electronic ignition etc.. comes to mind.

As for paint jobs, well we are spoilt for choice nowadays compared to the 70's.

As for red velour interiors? well thats personal choice!

Dave :D

I usually have standard cars but my next job is to build a replica of SJW 540S, the works rally car driven by Tony Pond, I even have SJW 545S to put on it. Should be ready in 18 months time.