Hi. What would any of you suggest for wing beading for TS227LO? I 've tried the stuff from Woolie's which was nicem but the release agent didn't like paint, and the white color of the molding easily smudged. Also, it tended to suffer from the 'wiggles' when the wings were torqued down. Pretty sure my car had the half round 1/4" but some early cars that came over here might have had the full round. We are working on having something made but it's all uncertain and the car is straining to be finished and let loose!

Thanks in advance!

JW

Hi,

You could use the tr3a stainless beading the suppliers are offering and cut them to the length used on tr2.

Of course have them painted before fitting.

This will be a solution for the wiggling.

Although not original for the early cars, because the beading on those is very slim...

Not strictly correct maybe, but I have used dark green everflex to make my own piping, the colour difference is not evident in day light

P1020171_zps80a466aa.jpg

P1020201_zpse6a2b6cb.jpg

Edited by TR24178

JW, I meant to offer a thought when you were chasing this elsewhere.

The caravan industry uses a variety of half round plastic T moulds with a stiff backing that shouldn't crinkle. It's used to trim butt joined internal panels, but not sure if they have a small enough half round section. Might be worth a try.

Regards,

Viv.

Thnks gents. I have looked into the VW beading and might give it a try. Should be half round on my car but it might be worth a try as I've yet to.... hot rod suppliers over here sell 3/16 round in all sorts of colors; some early colors were very thin. I think Jim Keller's Olive Yellow car had the very fine stuff.

JW

Nice car John. Interesting that the section along the bonnet has been removed where no soft beading was originally used. Wonder how the PO finished the ends so they didn't just look cut off ?.

Viv.

Viv I have fitted the beading to a TR2 and if you cut the end round in a similar fashion to the finished end and a careful tapping with a plastic hammer to round it down it looks near as shove it the same.Its also a damn site easier than trying to get beading to lay right. ;)

Stuart.

Clever Stuart, as stainless is always a challenge. The paint would hang on better than soft beading too. With the 2 rebuild I just wrapped vynil over plastic tube and went with the half round look.

Back then of course the pub and beach were more important than crinkly beading. B):D

Regards,

Viv

Clever Stuart, as stainless is always a challenge. The paint would hang on better than soft beading too. With the 2 rebuild I just wrapped vynil over plastic tube and went with the half round look.

Back then of course the pub and beach were more important than crinkly beading. B):D

Regards,

Viv

I hope the pub is still more important!!!

I was lucky to find a photo of my car beforte the wings were detached and the original beading was still present. Turns out that 227 had the small diameter round section beading as opposed to the more commonly seen half-round. Might be the early commission number. in any event it looks like I'll be going with something from a Model A Ford... thanks for all of the input and yes, the pub should always be a priority!

I've yet to receive it but I'll let you know. I'm not sure if the Ford stuff has a grained texture which I don't want. It's 3/16" and i believe the VW beading is 1/4" or more. If you want the larger diameter I can't see anything wrong with the VW as long as it can take the paint. It's available and reasonably priced.Some of these products, particularly those in molded colors, have difficulties with paint because of the release agents used in the molding.We've run into this. Jor Richards used the 1/8" Ford beading on TS1 which looked right for that car and I believe was correctly textured. The small diameter without texture might well be what i should use (your car being later might not need this type) but I thought it best to have a little more 'coverage' of the joint areas.

This whole wing beading issue has become interesting because it's brought to light again the variances in these early cars. We all knew that some had this and some had that even from looking at old magazine articles but with continued interest in TR2s and fortunately or unfortunately, increased values, folks seem willing to explore arcana related to these cars. That's a good thing!

What color was 19110? I think some beadings were used on some colors and some on others. 227LO was Pearl White, so the beading in white was pretty easy to source. Olive Yellow wouldn't be; I'll have to check with Jim Keller and see if his was painted or molded in yellow. His car was repainted Ice Blue when new or nearly new but he would know. TS 3020 was Red and had the 'usual' half round 1/4" beading. All of these were smooth. i think by the time our cars were built the old rexine covered beading was phased out for most applications; Jaguar, who most likely bought what they could from existing stocks that matched their colors and painted those that didn't, went to plastic in April of 1953.

There is a street rod supplier here that can do most anything if you can live with colored vynil over a plastic core. I'm not quite ready to go that route. I'll keep you all updated!

OKJ - the Ford beading arrived and has a covering on it that won't work for us. i did find another potential source, WEFCO Rubber, who makes the 1/8" and 3/16" round and also half round 1/4". They can make most anything. I'm looking into having the lower door seal made for the 2s and hopefully the correct appearing radiator overflow hosing.

WEFCO's beading is much harder than the Woolies and Moss offerings and is supposed to be easily painted. We'll see!

• 2 weeks later...